UKC

Axe Grip Tape

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 michael83 11 Feb 2013
Just a note on axe grip tape for others after a little experimenting.

I have Petzl Nomics and replacing the axe tape with genuine Petzl tape is expensive. I've experimented with a few self-amalgamating rubber tapes with the following conclusions on grip/friction:

- Screwfix self-amalgamating tape - Crap
- Maplin self-amalgamating tape - OK
- 3M Scotch 23 self-amalgamating tape - Excellent

So really just a note, if needing Axe tape, but the 3M Scotch 23, £9 for 9m certainly beats petzl tape at £6/m.

Hope this helps others!

Cheers
 Cameron94 11 Feb 2013
In reply to michael83: I use racket tape on my axes, not too expensive and it's very bright!
 Ron Walker 11 Feb 2013
In reply to michael83:

Using cut rings of old mountain bike inner tube is free...!
 Cameron94 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ron Walker: You had to buy it at one point though, it does make excellent repais to rock shoes though.
 Ron Walker 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Cameron94:
> (In reply to Ron Walker) You had to buy it at one point though, it does make excellent repais to rock shoes though.

Never bought it most bike repair shops just bin the old tubes so ask them to keep some!
 davy_boy 11 Feb 2013
In reply to michael83: i just use what ever self amalgamating tape my work has in there stores at the time cant beat free stuff
 steveshaking 11 Feb 2013
In reply to michael83: where did you find it for 9 quid? I can only see it for 12 or more. I have used b&Q self amalganating tape at 7 pounds for 3m, its ok, just one Nick after a weekends use. Don't know if scotch tape is tuffer.
OP michael83 11 Feb 2013
In reply to steveshaking:
B&Q and screwfix are the same company so I'd imagine it will be the same stuff. I found the rubber hard and low on the grip side. Picked up the 3M stuff from:

http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/p-1554-self-amalgamating-tape-scotch-23-19mm-x-91...

OP michael83 11 Feb 2013
In reply to davy_boy:
I thought there was no difference between types until i recoated my axes with the screwfix stuff and ended up getting pumped twice as fast during my training laps than with the old Maplin stuff. Binned the screwfix stuff and bought the 3M stuff, made a huge difference, more than i'd imagined it would.
 GridNorth 11 Feb 2013
In reply to michael83: I am having difficulty in trying to understand why a different make of rubberised tape should get you more pumped. I would love an explanation in case I am missing a trick.
OP michael83 11 Feb 2013
In reply to GridNorth: no trick, stickier rubber means you don't have to hold on to the axes so tight. Relaxing your grip reduces pump, or so i find.
 GridNorth 11 Feb 2013
In reply to michael83: Hmmm. I think that may be largely physcological but I may give it a try next season, I wouldn't like to be accused of not being willing to learn.
 iksander 11 Feb 2013
In reply to michael83: PSP Tiller tape is the cats' nads
 steveshaking 11 Feb 2013
In reply to michael83: found the b&q stuff sticky, but will give the scotch tape a try. Seems some people are using plasti dip. Not sure I feel brave enough to try this solution, depends on how easy it is to put on neatly and how easy it is to get off or recoat after its seen action?
 Andrew Wilson 11 Feb 2013
In reply to michael83:
Just done my vipers in the maplin tape. Went on well, seems well stuck. Maybe I will be able to climb Lipton now !-)
 D.Russell 11 Feb 2013
In reply to steveshaking: climbing tape covered in plastidip is the way forward...
 steveshaking 11 Feb 2013
In reply to D.Russell: Funny, with my level of DIY skill I could have taken that up for a bright idea. They say http://www.plastidip.com/blog/2012/04/%E2%80%9Cbecause-it%E2%80%99s-there%E...
fil-p 11 Feb 2013
In reply to D.Russell: I 2nd the plasti dip. I've put it on both my forces and nomics. If you put a good number of coats on it lasts really well
 steveshaking 11 Feb 2013
In reply to fil-p: what application method did you use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...