UKC

Recommendations for first alpine routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Craig Holden 12 Feb 2013
Any recommendations for easy alpine routes or mountain treks that people have done?
 Kid Spatula 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Craig Holden:

Aiguille Du Tour, Tete Blanche and Petit Fourche, Pigne D'Arolla are all good and fairly easy without a huge amount of objective danger.
 Happy Haggis 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Craig Holden: If you've got your alpine skills sorted (glacier travel, crevasse rescue, moving together etc.) then peaks with easy alpine routes that spring to mind include La Luette, Aiguille du Tour, Pigne d'Arolla, Breithorn, Allalinhorn and Piramide Vincent. Bruce Goodlad's textbook on alpinism is a good place to start and includes some route ideas.

If you don't have those alpine skills, then take a look at the Cicerone guidebooks for ideas of hut to hut treks through the Alps. Favourites include the Walkers' Haute Route (Chamonix to Zermatt) and the Tour of the Vanois.
 David Rose 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Craig Holden: Weissmies and Lagginhorn near Saas Fee. Montagne des Agneaux, Pointe des Cineastes, at Ailefroide.
 Mark Haward 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Craig Holden:

Hard to answer as you have no profile. We don't know if you are a walker, a scrambler, someone with winter experience or possibly leading VS rock or even E5? My guess is a walker so heading for Arolla is probably a good idea - lots of routes there. Pyrenees are great too.
 Solaris 12 Feb 2013
In reply to davidoldfart:

Good suggestions, though I am not sure I'd recommend the Lagginhorn to beginners when the summit slope is icy. I think jon described descending it as "spooky" in those conditions in one of his posts and I wouldn't want to disagree. Not a place to trip over your crampons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...