UKC

NEW ARTICLE: It was twenty years ago today...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 13 Feb 2013
1993 - Oversized Zens, Ron Hills, cheap harness and cammo hat., 3 kbOn reaching a milestone of twenty years of climbing and the birth of his first child, UKC User Rampikino takes a trip down memory lane to the routes he first climbed, whilst at the same time taking a look back at how climbing has changed and what has influenced him as a climber.

"The hopes, the fears, the expectation and that moment of satisfaction when you pull over the top moves and stand, complete, on top of your chosen challenge..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=5253

NickK123 13 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: Enjoyed the read and I sense many would have a similar story to tell! (Have still got a pair of Ronhills, although climbing in Skye has not helped their appearance!)
 full stottie 13 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC Articles:

Excellent article, well-written and modest, and many will identify with the places, events and observations in your 2 climbing decades.

Your points about the impact of media and the internet on climbing are well-made, and I like it that you don't pass sentimental judgement on those changes - as you say, climbing is at heart a very personal experience, but now its set in a context of more public sharing of information and achievements, not a bad thing, just an extra thing.

When it stops being fun, its time to stop. Enjoy the next 20 years!

Dave

Monk 13 Feb 2013

Nice article. You have also reminded me that my own first trad lead was 16 years ago tomorrow (and also in Lawrencefield). Although on that particular day, the sun was out and we were climbing in T-shirts!
 Doug 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Monk: Good read, but
"This was also 1993 and my information came from books and books alone. Not only was this before UKClimbing but before the internet"

the web existed in 1993 (just), the internet had been around for many years </pedant>
 Rampikino 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Doug:

Ok ok I'm sure you get my point!
 bouldery bits 13 Feb 2013

I still climb in Ron hills regularly.... Oh dear!
 Misha 14 Feb 2013
Enjoyed this article, reminiscent without being nostalgic.
 Michael Hjorth 14 Feb 2013
Nice article, all true!
Speaking of Ron Hills: They are (one of) the essential parts of British climbing. Bought a pair many years ago, and on my last visit to UK in November I wanted a new pair. But I couldn't believe it, they CHANGED the design!!! How could you let them do that?! England being the country of traditions - but Ron Hills are no longer Ron Hills! Should I stop climbing in UK?
 pneame 14 Feb 2013
Great read.
Was 1993 so long ago? - Good grief, it was....!
The mistakes made (and survived) in early climbs are always great memories and it's always fun to think "Was I that daft / naive / stupid / lazy / overconfident?" The answer, of course, is always "yes", with the caveat "It seemed like a good idea at the time".

I've been out of the UK long enough to be not entirely sure what Ron Hills are - a bit of Googling clarified things. I'm glad I missed that aspect of outdoor fashion (as well as lycra)!
 GrahamD 14 Feb 2013
In reply to pneame:

You haven't missed Ron Hills entirely - they are still there on more obscure routes on less fashionable crags.
 DerwentDiluted 14 Feb 2013

Interesting, many parallels, not least the Ron Hills, oversized Zens and nearly 6000 ticks!
 Rampikino 14 Feb 2013
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Hullo DD - you had oversized Zens too eh?
In reply to Rampikino: Great article-I especially liked the acknowledge that even the routes you haven't done mean something. I remember reading Climber articles again and again when I was in my early teens and dreaming about doing even the easiest routes in there. When I finally did Tennis Shoe a dozen years after reading about it it felt all the more special to re-connect with those memories. Good stuff.
 Bobling 15 Feb 2013

Nice read, cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...