UKC

Siurana HELP!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 collywob 13 Feb 2013
My wife has got me a brilliant 40th birthday present. Trip to Siurana. We are going tomorrow and she has just surprised me with it. Any advice / tips / etc for climbers working around the 6a/b mark around the village? Is it easy to get English language guidebooks out there? Or is there anywhere in London that I'd pick one up in the AM?
 dodfoster 13 Feb 2013
In reply to collywob: nice present! jealous, this is the perfect time of year to go. should be fairly warm, though we got snowed off last year on a couple of days! wear a down jacket over your t-shirt!

best guidebook would be pete o'donovans new one http://www.amazon.com/Tarragona-Climbs-Catalunya-English-Catalan/dp/0956700... there'll be plenty to go at for the grade you're after, particularly at the village crags (siurana is essentially split into 2 main areas - village and valley). no idea where you'd find one in london but there's a small climbing shop in cornudella (the town below siurana village) that would more than likely sell it. there's a local guide that is fairly decent but yeah if you can get your hands on pete's new one then do. have fun!
OP collywob 13 Feb 2013
In reply to dodfoster: thanks for that
 Mowglee 13 Feb 2013
In reply to collywob: The local guide is very good - photos, topos etc, but there's an older one by Antonio Arbonnes which is pretty out of date and generally not very good. The campsite is owned by Antonio though, and only sells his old crap guide. The shop in the village is well stocked and will sell the new one.

Not much in the way of food shops in Cornudella, so stop at Carrefour on the way to stock up.
 Ian Patterson 13 Feb 2013
In reply to dodfoster:
> (In reply to collywob) nice present! jealous, this is the perfect time of year to go. should be fairly warm, though we got snowed off last year on a couple of days! wear a down jacket over your t-shirt!
>

Forecast looks good for climbing but not that warm, low / mid teens in the day, probably close to freezing at night so take some warm clothes as well. Lots of sunny crags which should be in good condition. At your grades siurana has some decent routes but they can be a bit fierce for the grade. If you get the Pete o'd guide and have transport its worth considering visiting some of the other crags like mussara which is great for routes in the 6s. Siurana is a great place to be based with tremendous views and a good climbers atmosphere.
OP collywob 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Ian Patterson: Thanks for all the advice guys. Very helpful. Super psyched to be getting over there and a good start to a year where I want to get my London bound ass out on the real thing a bit more.
 alicia 13 Feb 2013
In reply to collywob:

Great present! For routes, I remember the crag Grau dels Masets having quite a few good routes in the 5+ to 6a range and being a fairly easy walk from the camping area/village.
 Alun 13 Feb 2013
In reply to Mowglee:
> The campsite is owned by Antonio though, and only sells his old crap guide.

Unless things have changed since a couple of months ago, this isn't true, because I bought my copy of the o'Donovan/Andrada guide in the campsite bar, and they had a whole boxful of them.

Incidently, the newer guide is excellent and a light year better in quality than the older ones.
 Pete O'Donovan 14 Feb 2013
In reply to collywob:

You're probably already on your way now but if not, pack an extra woolly (or better still, a windproof) — it's been fine in the sun these last few days but the wind has had a distinctly sharp edge to it.

As Alun says, the 'Tarragona Climbs' guidebook is available at Siurana camping.

For routes in your grade-range check out 'Can Marges' (upper and lower), 'Grau dels Masets - Esquerra' and the right-hand side of 'Esperó Primavera'.

Have fun!

Pete.
OP collywob 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Pete O'Donovan: Wow. Thanks Pete!
OP collywob 19 Feb 2013
In reply to Pete O'Donovan: Thanks again Pete. It was a dream trip. Climbing amazing. Great guidebook too. Being there for a weekend was not nearly enough. We will return!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...