UKC

An 'odd' question about footwear...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stani49 14 Feb 2013
Hey guys,

Does anybody on here walk around in their climbing gear? All the climbers and mountaineers I know seem to be walking around in approach shoes all the time even when off the crag, and they just have that cool 'climber' look about them.
I have a shin injury at the moment so need something which will avoid too much shock and I'm not fussed about wearing these 'trendy' flat shoes which will bugger my legs up even more. I'm walking around (college, work, dog walking, going to the shop etc) in some cheap Regatta low-cut walking boots, hoping that these will help my legs a bit more than worn-out trainers. When on the mountain I wear full-cut Berghaus boots. Do any of you walk around in approach shoes? Do you worry about them wearing out?
 Sleepy_trucker 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:

I wear cheap karrimor shoes for most things, no particular reason really - I've just always gone for more "outdoorsy" trainers. However, they're getting a bit tired now and I've decided to replace them with some more expensive, waterproof shoes; probably salomon as my boots are salomon and fit very nicely but the important bit's comfort and being waterproof (having got wet feet several times while camping last year).

I don't wear "shoes" on the hill / mountain, my opinion's firmly that boots are the right tool for the job.
 Monk 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:

Approach shoes are just sturdy trainers. Why wouldn't you wear them around town? I like the way mine keep my feet dry in the rain.

sebbo 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Monk:

The Monk speaks the truth!
Why on earth wouldn't you wear approach shoes out and about? Especially at this time of year when it's often snowy or icy underfoot.
Not only are they better designed and constructed than trainers, they look the part too

Two gripes:-
C'mon Scarpa, bring back the Quest!
C'mon La Sportiva, make the Gandas cheaper than a week's skiing in France!
OP Stani49 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:

Thanks everyone for the responses. Interested.
Don't approach shoes have a much thicker and tougher sole than trainers though? Am I wrong to think that normal trainers have a spongier, cushioned heel which absorbs shock better than approach shoes?

How long do you find yours last?
 Monk 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:

Approach shoes vary from almost 'walking boots' to 'basically a running shoe'. They all have a decent level of shock-absorption in the heel, but some will feel clumpier than others.

I find that approach shoes worn all day, every day will last between 6 months and 3 years.
Boulders@Cardiff 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:

I have only two words to say about wearing approach shoes all the time:

Impromptue buildering.

Joby
 Taurig 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:

>...and they just have that cool 'climber' look about them.

I'm fairly sure the cool climber look is only seen as such by other climbers. However, if you think they might help your feet or whatever, then don't let anyone stop you.

SachaF 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49:
> Don't approach shoes have a much thicker and tougher sole than trainers though? Am I wrong to think that normal trainers have a spongier, cushioned heel which absorbs shock better than approach shoes?
>
> How long do you find yours last?

Approach shoes are designed for walking, running trainers are designed for running so I don't generally wear them for walking about the village. I have had foot issues which have been part remedied by wearing decent approach shoes for daily wear.

I find approach shoes last me 12-18 months of being used pretty much every day. I think the foam in trainers degrades quicker and so you would only get 6 months out of using road trainers, and I have heard a shop assistant say they need changing every 12 months even if you hardly use them as the foam only has a shelf life of 12 months. But anyway, I generally only run in trainers (the exception being the bits of a run/orienteer I walk!).
OP Stani49 25 Feb 2013
In reply to SachaF:

Great, thanks! Is there a particular model of approach shoe you'd recommend?
 martinph78 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49: Not sure how you think having a cushioned heal in trainers would help your shin injury, what type of injury do you have?

I wear cheap trainers from Sports Direct day-to-day. Don't care if they wear out, quite like wearing worn out trainers daily to be honest as I think my feet benefit from less support (strengthens the supporting muscles).

bigsloper 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49: I work as a climbing instructor so I wanted a shoe that was comfy, looked the part and also I could do little bits of climbing in to demonstrate moves. The Scarpa Crux is what I ended up with and it's awesome. Very comfy, I've been wearing them every day for a few months and they're pretty much ok!
dirty crimper 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Stani49: I wear north face approach shoes everyday everywhere from scrambling round the crag to walking along the street and get at least a year and a half out of them. great shoe i highly reccomend them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...