UKC

Top ten alpine PD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 richardsavery 14 Feb 2013
Anyone out there with a list of their top 10 favourite PD Alpine routes that they are willing to share?
 MG 14 Feb 2013
In reply to richardsavery: Hmm, good question, I think mine would include

Jungfrau normal route.
Grand Paradiso from Cogne (probably PD+)
Castor from Klein Matterhorn when no one else is there
Fletch-Lagginhorn Traverse (probably PD+)
 Kid Spatula 14 Feb 2013
In reply to richardsavery:

NE Ridge of the Nadelhorn.
NW Flank and SW Ridge of Mont Blanc de Cheilon
 sbc_10 14 Feb 2013

Weissmies traverse is a good 'un
 LakesWinter 14 Feb 2013

Definitely the Mont Pelvoux traverse in the Ecrins, that might be the best of them all. It's certainly the best one I've done. In many ways it is the perfect mountaineering route. it's got glacier, snow couloir, abseils, committment, routefinding and scrambling. It is probably PD+ though.

I also really enjoyed the Hohlaubgrat on the Allalinhorn and The Weissmies traverse.

P.S. Isn't the fletschorn-Lagginhorn AD?
 sjminfife 14 Feb 2013
In reply to richardsavery: What about the Normal Route on the Dibona? Alpine rock as opposed to glacier/snow and ice but an easy way up a spectactular pointy mountain.
sjm
 MG 14 Feb 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:
>
> P.S. Isn't the fletschorn-Lagginhorn AD?

No - the AC guide is wrong. Although the alternative Topham ridge to the Fletcshorn probably is but is given PD in the guide!
 LakesWinter 14 Feb 2013
In reply to MG: Ah right ok. I tried this but we turned round on the fletschorn as we had run out of water already (long story...)
 MG 14 Feb 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: Pity. Worth going back for as is the ridge I mentioned
 Bradders 14 Feb 2013
In reply to richardsavery: You cannot beat a traverse of the Aiguille d'Entrevers, sticks you in a fantastic location if a little short
 LakesWinter 14 Feb 2013
In reply to MG: Cool, I'll look into that. I saw your pic of the Grivola too, that's high on my list. How was it? IS it as good as it looks?
 Gawyllie 14 Feb 2013
In reply to richardsavery: ive not done many (2) yet but had a long but great day on the Festigrat on the Dom. hut has been done up since too
 MG 15 Feb 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:
> (In reply to MG) Cool, I'll look into that. I saw your pic of the Grivola too, that's high on my list. How was it? IS it as good as it looks?

Yes it is. The NNE ridge is superb and about AD. From a distance the NE ridge also looks good. The normal route appears a choss-fest but probably isn't too hard to descend (I haven't done this).

d508934 15 Feb 2013

is there a pan-alps guidebook that focuses on this grade? Suspect not but would be great if there is. I've always got a bit pigeon holed in Cham, would love to go to other places but no idea where to start. Also their is the great easy ascents book for Cham, right up my street.
 James FR 15 Feb 2013
In reply to d508934:

I don't know of a guidebook for the whole of the Alps, but there is a similar one for the Ecrins called "Alpinisme facile dans le massif des Ecrins", which is pretty good.

Happy Haggis 15 Feb 2013
In reply to d508934: Swiss Plaisir Alpin is good for ideas.
 Pyreneenemec 18 Feb 2013

I'm far too lazy to concoct a list of 10 but here's one in the Pyrénées that I have enjoyed doing a countless number of times :

Cirque de Troumouse / Pic de la Munia ridge traverse.

http://www.camptocamp.org/routes/175373/fr/pic-de-la-munia-tour-complet-du-...
 d508934 18 Feb 2013
In reply to James FR:
thanks, just looked that up, sadly my French is appalling!
 d508934 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Happy Haggis:

thanks, looks good if a little expensive at 30 odd quid.
 AlisonSmiles 18 Feb 2013

People are going to have to stop adding to my bucket list. Or include links ...
 Pyreneenemec 18 Feb 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:
> (In reply to richardsavery)
>
> Definitely the Mont Pelvoux traverse in the Ecrins, that might be the best of them all. It's certainly the best one I've done. In many ways it is the perfect mountaineering route. it's got glacier, snow couloir, abseils, committment, routefinding and scrambling. It is probably PD+ though.
>
>

Without doubt one of the best outings the Ecrins has to offer. The final descent to the valley is a real bugger though !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...