UKC

Halogen replacement LED bulbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 15 Feb 2013
I'm trying to decide what light fittings I want for the kitchen and I'm drawn towards GU10 halogens for their light quality but repelled by the idea of paying for ~250 W of lighting.

Has anyone got any recommendations for GU10 LED replacements?

I bought some 2W versions about 3 or 4 years back and was a bit disappointed by them being not very bright and very white, but these things move on so quickly that they are probably vastly different by now, and a quick look on E-bay suggests they are half the price they were.

I did have a quick search of the forums but only found stuff from 2009 and older.
 Little Brew 15 Feb 2013
In reply to gethin_allen: i have GU10 light fittings in both bedroom and Office at home, very good light, bright enough for what i want/need, not to white a light, but not to yellow either. both fittings are B&Q Specials, we also have 3 spots in the built in wardrobe/cupboards in the bedroom with GU10's in them and they are great too, worth having a look in the lighting department and seeing what they have on offer.
 ebygomm 15 Feb 2013
In reply to gethin_allen: we have philips warm white gu10 led's in our kitchen. Gives a really nice light
OP gethin_allen 15 Feb 2013
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to gethin_allen) we have philips warm white gu10 led's in our kitchen. Gives a really nice light

These being the most expensive.

I could end up paying more for bulbs than for the fittings. And obviously I'll probably only save a couple of £ a year on them.
 ebygomm 15 Feb 2013
In reply to gethin_allen: The saving assuming a couple of hours use per day for us was something like 26 pounds a year (based on 6 bulbs). Cost was £50 ish. So should pay for itself
 Neil Williams 15 Feb 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:

The Philips ones (there's a single LED 35W equivalent and a four LED 50W equivalent) costing around £10 a pop are the best. Definitely worth paying for decent ones, most of the cheaper ones I've seen are shite, either they flicker, or they produce a very blue light, or both.

If I recall Tesco now sell these ones.

Neil

"These being the most expensive."

Yep. The cheap ones are pretty universally shite. The Philips ones (which I now have throughout my house) produce a light quality pretty much indistinguishable from the real ones, with the added advantage of not having a 3 bar electric fire on your ceiling.

Neil
 Nutkey 15 Feb 2013
I've replaced all of my light bulbs - or at least all the non-dimmable lightbulbs that get left on lots - with Auraglow B22s and GU10s, which I've found to be pretty good.

At least for the GU10s in the kitchen, I reckon I'll make it back in a year, not counting the cost of replacing all the halogens which blew at a fantastic rate. It's a no brainer.
 adam 15 Feb 2013

I'd warn away from the cheap ones on sale at Homebase too. Bought 5, had to take 2 back straight away (didn't work). Few weeks later and another one's died.

When they're working they're pretty good, but I would like a warmer light. Despite being labelled 2800K they're noticeably cooler (more towards the blue end of the spectrum) than halogens. Has anyone found a close match yet?
In reply to adam:

As mentioned above the Philips warm white ones are almost undistinguishable from real ones. Touch wood I've not had one fail on me yet either.

Neil
In reply to Nutkey:

"not counting the cost of replacing all the halogens which blew at a fantastic rate"

Long wondered why people have such an issue with these - I had the fittings in for a good year and a half before I swapped for LEDs, and not a single one blew.

I wonder if it's because mine are all the open-to-the-air 3-bulb centre fitting type ones rather than recessed ones, so they don't tend to overheat?

Neil
 adam 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:

I found the opposite. My recessed halogens have been good, but the open / non vertical ones blow regularly (and trip the circuit while they're at it).
 Mark Edwards 15 Feb 2013

I work for a lighting company and have been testing (Dimmable) LED lamps for the last few months.
BELL lamps are very good and Megaman are excellent value for money.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...