UKC

Rock Shoes Cleaning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kelloggs77 15 Feb 2013
I had got to the point where my shoes smell was going to get me barred form my local wall. To combat this is used some Febreeze, however last time out I found they soon got slippy inside when my feet warmed up. Consequently it got in the way of me finishing some new problems.

So I need some advice on cleaning the inside of the shoes. There is probably some residue from the Febreeze and no doubt skin and dirt built up. What is they best approach that might also help with the funk without damaging them.

I have read about letting them air after use etc, hence will do this in future, however I need a fix for these currently if anyone can help?
 alooker 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77: boot bananas!
OP Kelloggs77 15 Feb 2013
In reply to alooker: Gonna bag some, but doesn't help clean them and get rid of the slippy insoles. Will just crack on with a nail brush and some hot water if there are no good tips.
 Oceanrower 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77: I just chuck mine in the washing machine.
 BoulderyDave 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77: +1 for washing machine. 30 degrees, washing liquid but no conditioner.
 Brass Nipples 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77:

Wear thin wicking socks. Not trendy I know but stops them smelling
 Styx 15 Feb 2013
Chuck them in the washing machine at 30 degrees, I wouldn't make a habit out of it but it shouldn't do any harm every now and again. Use Scholl shoe deoderant and let them air after use rather than festering in a dark place (bag).

Some shoes are worse than others but you can at least manage the build up of the stink over time!
needvert 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77:

washing machine for mine, partner complained.
OP Kelloggs77 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77: Washed them in the sink, but the toe box is now so slippery???
 Alkis 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77:

Washing machine, 30ºC, bleach. Work a treat for synthetic ones, like Anasazis.
 Alkis 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77:

I'd missed that last one. If the toe box is slippery, chances are you have soap residue in them. You have to rinse them *really* well.
 nbonnett 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77:

Cat litter it's a deodoriser
 leeoftroy 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Kelloggs77: I let mine air until dry then poured in a lot of bicarbonate of soda. Leave this in for 24 hours then wash thoroughly in the sink and dry well. They are not 'as new' but they are hugely less offensive than before. I don't think anything will get them completely odour free and I have heard it suggested that the more your shoes smell the better climber you are likely to be!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...