UKC

Would you say you are a risk taker?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 16 Feb 2013
I just think rock climbers may fall into the 'loose cannon category'. Go on tell me I might be wrong.
 Skip 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

sometimes
 LaMentalist 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

I used to be but not so much anymore I think I wore out my adrenal glands along time ago to be honest . But then I do something crazy every once in a while just to remind me its nots all a dodgy dream .
 koolkat 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
i think all of us are risk aware and act with that knowledge
i dont belive in dangeous sports only sports done dangerously
 freerangecat 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

No
SteveCarter 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: Calculated risks
Wiley Coyote2 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
Hell no. Card-carrying coward
 blurty 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Absolutely a risk taker
 ripper 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: yes

most things involve some element of risk - walking to the shops, driving to work, using work time to browse UKC...

In climbing of course I'm taking risks but as with everything it's about find a level of risk that you can live with - hopefully....
 Puppythedog 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: I like to think I'm a risk manager. I take risks when the payoffs are good, the consequences unlikely or not too severe. Most of the time I feel very cowardly with my safety. I have to positively risk manage others sometimes and in that respect I have massive cahones [sic]
 Timmd 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

I ocasionally go quickly down tracks I know well on my MTB, making myself laugh with the buzz, and have had the odd shakey moment, i've definately taken risks while climbing unroped, and objectively even being as low as 20 if you fall off can be serious, so I guess I am.

Less so at the age of 32 than when I was younger, but i'm not sure how I feel about the thought of not doing anything which could give me a buzz in the future, so it seems like I am still somewhere in my psyche.
Graeme G 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Yes but that's more to do with snorting Tequila!
 LaMentalist 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
> (In reply to Blizzard)
>
> Yes but that's more to do with snorting Tequila!

ooh lovely , I put vodka in my eyes once never again damn did that smart really not recommended .

arch 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: I work with live High Voltage electricity. So no.

But sometimes taking a risk is fun. If you know what i mean......
 ripper 16 Feb 2013
In reply to LaMentalist: haha i've ingested one or two things without really knowing what they were, but never through the eyes...
 LaMentalist 16 Feb 2013
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to LaMentalist) haha i've ingested one or two things without really knowing what they were, but never through the eyes...

That was a particulary mad night and a few of us gnarly dudes ( fecking idiots ) went for broke there was an impromptu indoor firework display which caused a fire , Josh actually woke up on fire poor lad didn't know what was happening , a couple of us went sofa surfing down a steep busy road at 4am didn't get very far though the wheels were crap .

We did have hell of a backyard steeplechase that night until one of us and a 6ft panel fence got busted the owner was not as amused as we were , oh dear terrible behaviour 80S .

ripper 16 Feb 2013
In reply to LaMentalist: once did a 'tight rope walk' along the top of a free-standing billboard after a night in the pub. Mate of mine once did the same along the handrail of an overnight ferry to Rotterdam...
 Kat4kgb 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: Yes
 Skip 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
Now if we're talking outside of climbing, then i've done a load of risky/"stupid" things.
In reply to LaMentalist:
> (In reply to Blizzard)
>
> I used to be but not so much anymore I think I wore out my adrenal glands along time ago to be honest . But then I do something crazy every once in a while just to remind me its nots all a dodgy dream .

That's me to a T!
 LaMentalist 16 Feb 2013
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to LaMentalist) once did a 'tight rope walk' along the top of a free-standing billboard after a night in the pub. Mate of mine once did the same along the handrail of an overnight ferry to Rotterdam...

risky that ripper .

jjclarke70 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Surely everyone is a risk taker to some extent. eg. Driving is probably the biggest risk people take on a regular basis. I believe that climbers and mountaineers generally have a greater understanding of risk managment and the benifits of taking risks
 Dax H 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: Hell yes. In my late teens, early 20s my idea of fun was surfing on the roof of the car.
Mid to late 20s I discovered the thrill of downhill mtb racing.
Early 30s I took up trad climbing and mid to late 30s was/still is the time of the motorbike.
Life is more than just physical risks though. I run my own business even though I could earn more and have less stress if I worked for someone else in my field but I enjoy the risk involved in knowing that if I make a decent mistake I can loose it all, the buisiness, my house and all my stuff.
 Blue Straggler 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
> I just think rock climbers may fall into the 'loose cannon category'. Go on tell me I might be wrong.

You might be wrong.
 Yanis Nayu 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: No. Maybe compared to some people perhaps.
ice.solo 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Only relative to a specific outcome, never for its own sake.

Lifes too short to gamble on making it any shorter.
 KellyKettle 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: Yes and No... In my everyday life I take 'risks' and act impulsively; In sports or at work I tend to be relatively cautious, when I percieve there to be a high level objective danger it seems to flip a switch that makes me behave in a more measured calculating way.

hokkyokusei 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Yeah, I ran down the office with a pair of scissors in my hand the other day.
 ripper 16 Feb 2013
In reply to LaMentalist:
> (In reply to ripper)
> [...]
>
> risky that ripper .

with hindsight, yeah - at the time, just seemed like a laugh
In reply to Blizzard:
You can't generalise.
 Bonzkars 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

I fear trad climbing but work in conflict zones from time to time...

Brass Nipples 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

I climb well within my comfort zone, I suspect most other climbers do too. There's no doubt I could climb harder, but I have this rational fear of falling and doing some serious damage. Loose cannon, definitely not.
 Jon Stewart 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

I'm a risk-taker, but calculated ones, and I've never regretted a risk I've taken.

I'll solo routes quite close to my limit, but when I know I'm not going to fall off.

In life generally, I've taken a few calculated risks which could have got me in trouble (quitting jobs without the next thing lined up as a certainty with a mortgage to pay, that kind of thing) and so far all's been well. My life would be sh!t boring if I didn't have an 'above average risk threshold'.
 jkarran 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

No, not in the grand scheme of things.
jk
 omerta 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Financially and physically, yes.

Emotionally, less so.
andrew breckill 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: I think it goes without saying, I am and have been all my life, although I suspect its a negative as it applies to everything I do. I tend to act first and think later.
 Neil Williams 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Generally no.

Neil
 cuppatea 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

I used to! Less so these days..but I've just started climbing again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...