UKC

year round ice climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jackspratt 18 Feb 2013
Does anyone know any destinations where you can ice climb most of the year that are accessible and not to expensive I'm looking at options to get myself in the optimum condition for the alps next year. any advice from the wealth of knowledge that is the UKC
 AdrianC 19 Feb 2013
In reply to Jackspratt: Any glacier with some suitable and stable seracs should work. The Glacier des Bossons used to be a regular spot or down on the Mer de Glace below Montenvers.
 Ander 19 Feb 2013
In reply to Jackspratt:
The Alps

RKernan 19 Feb 2013
In reply to Jackspratt:

Mt Blanc de Tacul in the Vallee Blanche has a couple of ice routes (Chere COuloir, Contamine-Mazeaud etc) that are year round.

Alternatively take a wander up the Mer de Glace and find some crevasses!
 GridNorth 19 Feb 2013
In reply to AdrianC: I beleive that the Bossons has not been used for that purpose for some years now because of poor conditions.
 Misha 19 Feb 2013
In reply to Jackspratt:
As others have said, pretty much the only easily accessible place for year round stuff is the Alps. Unless you're looking to do overhanging seracs and ED silly, there's no need for ice specific year round training for the Alps but Scottish winter experience will stand you in good stead, as will a week in Rjukan etc. You could always do some dry tooling to keep in shape.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...