UKC

Reasons to be cheerful

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thomaspomfrett 19 Feb 2013
I know it's not unusual for UKC users to have some fairly strong opinions on pretty much anything and that is part of what makes the forums so fun, but all the recent arguments on the "is trad dying" thread and media sensationalism about banning winter climbing has led me to try and reflect on the positive side of climbing.

I really enjoy trad, sport, bouldering (albeit mainly indoors), winter ice, alpine, Scottish winter and even the odd walk if the conditions are really that bad. It's not ideal living in the south and I may not exactly push the boundaries of difficulty but in the two years I've been climbing I've got out as much as I can, seen some amazing places, met some amazing friends and had an absolutely brilliant time.

I'm leaving work in an hour heading for Scotland and I've got that euphoric feeling I only get when I'm going on a climbing trip. Hopefully I'll see some of you out there!
 Cheese Monkey 19 Feb 2013
In reply to thomaspomfrett: The positive side- I ignore all the utter tripe written on here and get out and climb. Nice new route yesterday and off out on a classic HVS this afternoon before work. Good times.
 JimboWizbo 19 Feb 2013
In reply to thomaspomfrett: I had a bloody great day out at Windgather on Saturday, didn't even expect to get anything done with the weather through the week but it was glorious
 TMM 19 Feb 2013
In reply to thomaspomfrett:

one-two-three...
 Offwidth 19 Feb 2013

Well said! The most fun out of bed I have is climbing (anyone else remember the 'worth getting out of someone elses bed for' quality measure ?. A large number of my closest friends were made through climbing. The through of what's next keeps me going through bad days at work. The places I climb can be stunning.

Even Sports Climbing and Scrambling are great fun but trad, winter stuff and bouldering are effing brilliant.
 deepstar 19 Feb 2013
In reply to thomaspomfrett:Getting out on Monday and finishing a project that had been,because of the appalling weather,on hold since October.We had the quarry to ourselves and the weather was glorious.And yes the climb was IMHO well worth it.
 Keendan 19 Feb 2013

Have a great trip.

I'm enjoying climbing so much more even though I feel I climb less than I have in the past.

Climbing opportunities are becoming shorter, but I've realized that in only 90 minutes you can really do something worthwhile that makes the whole day. Being a neurotic, leave at sunrise sort of person, I'm learning that a chilled attitude really yields similar results.
 Trevers 19 Feb 2013
Some things to be cheerful about:

Our life ambitions/proudest moments will be something other than our team winning the league/getting promoted.

Our best stories to tell people in the pub will have a beginning other than "This one time I was so drunk..."

Enjoy your trip!
Have fun ! Sounds great !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...