UKC

Bags for your camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Little Brew 20 Feb 2013
So looking at the camera you have, how do you transport it? my compact had a little flip case that is padded and has a tiny pocket big enough for the spare battery and memory chip, but looking more to the DSLR user, what is best?!?
 Run_Ross_Run 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Little Brew:

I love my Lowe Alpine slingshot.

3 sizes available and prefer it to a rucksack style as its more of a messenger type arrangement.

Used mine all over europe last year will ample room to carry extras.
In reply to Little Brew:

I've got a cracking wee Kata bag for my NEX.

Really well thought out bags and reasonable priced too. Would definitely recommend.

Have a google if you spot on you like, I mangaged to get mine for about half the price that Kata sells it for.

http://www.katabags.co.uk/photo-by-carrying-type
KevinD 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Little Brew:

after various experiments i ended up with lowe pro toploader as my main bag for the dslr. Means it can be used alongside a normal bag etc easily.
 Tall Clare 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Little Brew:

Crumpler pouch for digi compact
Crumpler bag for one SLR + 2 lenses
15 year old LowePro TLZ for SLR + 50mm lens
Lowepro back-access rucksack for multiple cameras/lenses
 Blue Straggler 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Little Brew:

This would depend on whether it is just a dSLR with a single "kit lens" or you have an additional big fat chunky zoom or two that you want to put in this bag, surely.
OP Little Brew 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: Im thinking one Camera, One lens on said camera, spare memory chip and spare battery/ies. Mu dad has a MASSIVE rucksack that is full of camera stuff, 2/3 of which I am sure he has never used. just want a grab-able bag that is easy to carry, and not to girlie so the Hubby can also carry it.
Douglas Griffin 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Little Brew:

For day-trips, I've used a LowePro AWII Rover for the past 3 years. It's basically a small rucsack with a compartment at the bottom (accessible separately) for the camera and associated gear.

The bottom compartment takes my DSLR plus 3 lenses, plus a set of grad filters and a polariser (admittedly it's getting to be a bit of a squeeze with the 3rd lens). The top compartment is big enough to hold a thin duvet jacket, hat & gloves and still have space for some food. There's a zip-pocket for spare battery/memory card etc. A couple of small external pockets hold head torch and midge-net.

Tripod can be mounted on the outside via a couple of pockets and held in place via a bungee cord.
 Blue Straggler 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Little Brew:
Thinking outside the box slightly - it's not an "official" camera bag and I have not tried it with a dSLR but in TK Maxx I saw a smart thing - Vaude Aranea for £17. It fits a Minolta X700 with fat Sigma 18mm prime lens PLUS Sony Cybershot F717, and looks nice and smart. Full RRP is quite dear but if you see one in a TK Maxx, consider it!
 goosebump 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Little Brew:

I have a nearly as good as new Lowe Pro Nova mini like this
http://www.popscreen.com/p/MTI0NDU4NzAz/Amazoncom-Lowepro-Nova-Mini-Camera-...
if you want it. Was going to freecycle it, but its yours for the postage costs only (not that heavy but bulky, so prob not more than a fiver?)
Any good?
 Stone Idle 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Little Brew: Also depends on the days activity - if you want to carry waterproof, suntan, drink and maybe food and a sweater many of the camera bags don't really do the job (and fit in an aircraft locker). I carry a large DSLR with a short zoom plus wide angle and telephoto, spare batteries and so on. This goes into a 25 litre rucsac padded out with waterproof - lenses etc wrapped in closed cell foam cut to size from a sleeping mat. Nothing damaged yet (apart from the shoulders trying to carry it) and the only downside I can find is that it is a fiddle trying to get the right piece of kit out - there is you, the panda and a dusty wind - recipe for potential disaster!!
 Ireddek 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Little Brew:

I have a shoulder bag that looks more like a handbag than a camera bag for round town, etc. that doesn't shout "mug me" which takes DSLR, extra lens, purse & few accessories. Then I gave up on camera rucksacks as I find them uncomfortable & usually cut for "male shoulders" & I don't like sling bags at all. So for bigger walks/outings I tend to just load one or two of Kathmandu's padded cells ( I have the medium ones http://www.kathmandu.co.uk/accessories/travel/packing-solutions/protective-... ) with whatever camera gear I wish to take in which ever of my comfy rucksacks fit the outing, so climbing pack if going climbing, small day pack if walking, dry bag for the beach, etc. I've also done away with the neck strap & just use a hand strap coupled with one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/GTMax-Microfiber-Cleaning-FujiFilm-Panasonic/dp/B00... and a camera wrap which I find works really well for me when out & about taking snaps
 Jon Read 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Little Brew:
Depends.

I used to be very precious about the DSLR. but since it's got older and chalky and battered, I now just put it on to of the climbing kit in the rucksack, maybe in a fleecy hat for a bit of protection. A new camera has made me bring out a toploading zoom bag again though!

If I'm out to shoot landscapes, I'll usually have a dedicated rucksack. I used to have a LowePro Compurover thing, which was rubbish: not enough room for all the kit, hardly any room for other kit(duvet and flask!), and stupid opening that meant if you forget to close it you throw all your gear out when you put the thing on! Nowadays I have a LowePro trekker bag, much easier to find stuff, lays flat, easier to work out of, but still little room for non-camera kit. http://www.photocrati.com/lowepro-nature-trekker-aw-ii-review-round-up/

I also use an old one of these:
http://www.cambags.com/bag-type/cases-menu/lowepro-cases/item/260-lowepro-o... for more compact travel, and occasionally use it out.
In reply to Little Brew: I use a bag that carries the National Geographic badge. The badge is a bit naff but the bag is excellent for a DSLR with short zoom and with space for a longer zoom, another lens or something of similar size (for me this might be a wodge of filters or a smaller camera) and enough space for batteries, memory cards and all the other paraphenalia that my photography seems to demand that I carry around on a 'well, you never know' basis. It's very good.

However, I am on the lookout for another rucksack-style bag to help distribute the weight on both shoulders and give me something to make carrying a tripod possible, ideally with space for non-photography kit too. I have slung the lot in my walking rucksack before but this seems the worst of all worlds, neither accessible nor really comfortable. I shall go and bother my local independent shop and see what they have.

T.
In reply to Little Brew: Just bought a "Crumpler $6,000,000 house" (stupid name) for my 5D mk iii and lenses, don't know how I lived without one
 Mick Dewsbury 20 Feb 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
I don't even know how you found one, 'cos I can't...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...