UKC

Ski seasons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 trystan 20 Feb 2013
Hello people!
I'm want to do a ski season next winter. I have done a few and have a reasonable ability in skiing and boarding. I want to be based in France as I'm keen to learn the language.
So what I'm after is a resort that is quite french...less English. Has some good ski touring and off piste skiing. Isn't massive as I'm not super keen on crowds...is this possible in France? On the other side wouldn't be keen to be based in a super small resort with limited places to go. Doesn't matter about the party scene.
So if anyone can point me in a direction, I would most appreciate your input.....it's a tall order I think?
 John2 20 Feb 2013
In reply to trystan: Les Contamines is a pretty French resort, and you can ski it on the Chamonix area pass. Off piste and touring opportunities are pretty well unlimited.
In reply to John2: I'm up in Cham and have yet to ski Contamines - keep meaning to though!

I've heard it's as described - fairly French, fairly chilled out and good skiing.

I think your days in Chamonix will be limited though - we only get 3 days in the Haute Savoie on the Chamonix pass.

La Grave? Might be a bit small but I've heard it's a friendly scene...
 John2 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Fultonius: I may be wrong, but I thought the season pass for the Chamonix area included unlimited access to Les Contamines.
In reply to John2: Les Contamines is on the list of ski resorts that we get 3 free days at, so I'm pretty sure it's not unlimited!

We get unlimited in Courmayeur and 8 days in Verbier.
 Postmanpat 21 Feb 2013
In reply to trystan:

Research some of the Portes du Soleil outliers in France and Switzerland (Champoussin, Morgin, Torgon, or the bigger Chatel). Access to a huge areas but pretty quiet and in most cases not overpopulated with Brits (although the bigger P de S resorts like Avoriaz and Morzine are very British.
 ClimberEd 21 Feb 2013
In reply to trystan:

Sainte-Foy.

Job done.
 Trangia 21 Feb 2013
In reply to trystan:

Les Contamines
 Si 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

I'd second that. I am just outside Morzine (St Jean d'Aulps). The local ski resort (Roc d'Enfer) is awesome and the touring potential right out of our front door pretty special. Chatel looks like it would be good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...