UKC

Go Pro? Confused?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 20 Feb 2013
About to buy a new Go Pro from Flea Bay, (I've got about £200 to spend)

There seems to be quite a few different models, colours and editions???

Does it have to be a Go Pro 3 or will a 2 do?

Is the Silver edition OK?

Does it need to be an Outdoor Edition?

Caspar 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Hero 2 is very good quality. Hero 3 is obviously better, but more expensive.

Silver edition is fine. And the outdoor edition just means it comes with attachments useful for general stuff, instead of loads of stuff for attaching it to cars etc. The actual camera doesn't change though so if you can find a cheaper alternative it shouldn't be a problem.
OP Sl@te Head 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Caspar: So a go pro 3 silver edition for £198 would be ok?
 TimhNorthBASE 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: the gopro 3 silver version is pretty much the gopro 2 in terms of video spec but with wifi and is smaller and lighter, for £200 its a good buy.
 the power 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: ive also been debating buying a gopro but dont like not having a viewfinder, decided to go with a drift ghost instead
 Roberttaylor 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: 2 is pretty good, good enough for me, but the 3 looks absolutely amazing.

The 'outdoor edition' just means it comes with a bunch of specific mounts. I got this and they have been ideal but bear in mind you can buy mounts separately.

R
OP Sl@te Head 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Roberttaylor:

I've found a new go Pro 2 outdoor for £179.99

and a new Go Pro 3 Silver (not outdoor) for £199.00

Which should I go for....any advice?
 Damo 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:
> (In reply to Roberttaylor)
>
>
> Which should I go for....any advice?

How powerful is your computer? The higher specs on the newer cams mean better footage, but this is much heavier to edit and actually do anything with. The 2 seems fine for a lot of people, and if you're asking this, that probably includes you If you have an older computer with average or little RAM then I would be wary of the 3.
 Roberttaylor 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: Yeah, I couldn't do much with the footage on my old computer. Upgraded to i7, 8gb ram and can now edit reasonably quickly.

r
 NottsRich 22 Feb 2013
Do you really need a go pro for recording climbs? Almost all headcam footage I've seen of climbs is completely boring. For something fast paced like mountain biking or skiing it can sometimes work quite well, but climbing? Really?
 d_b 22 Feb 2013
In reply to NottsRich:

The big advantage of wearing a head cam is that it guarantees that I won't go climbing with you.
OP Sl@te Head 22 Feb 2013
In reply to NottsRich:
> Do you really need a go pro for recording climbs? Almost all headcam footage I've seen of climbs is completely boring. For something fast paced like mountain biking or skiing it can sometimes work quite well, but climbing? Really?

I climb but I also do loads of other stuff so you are jumping to a conclusion...this is what I was up to last week and one of the reasons I would like to experiment with a go pro...

youtube.com/watch?v=vcNsPasOScw&
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to NottsRich)
>
> The big advantage of wearing a head cam is that it guarantees that I won't go climbing with you.

Looking at your profile there's no way I would want to climb with you either go pro or no go pro.
 NottsRich 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: Looks like fun! Fair play if you're not thinking of using it for climbing. You're right, I did jump to a conclusion there - although understandably so I think, what with it being a climbing forum
 rallymania 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

just to backup what others have already said.

the hero 3 "range" has
the white (similar to the hero hd but small and with wifi, no remote)
the silver (similar to the hero hd 2, but small and with wifi, no remote)
the black which is the "new" camera, it also has wifi and includes the remote

i think the 3 silver will probably do most people unless you specifically need something the black does. the 3 silver is a cracking deal at £200 as it retails for about £280 i think.

also have a look around and you can find the backbacs and other accessories from weird places like argos and sometimes at greatly reduced prices

there's a whole load of useful info over at the goprouser forums. including the recommended workflow for using your new camera
and finally...
the camera is only part of the story, you do need a reasonably modern machine to edit your videos into something worth watching and you may need to budget a few quid for some software (sony vegas is well thought of if you want low priced but powerfull)

enjoy
In reply to rallymania: Thank you (and others) for a sensible and useful reply. I have just ordered a Silver go pro 3 for £199

I have no doubt that if I enjoy using it, I will have to throw even more money at it!
OP Sl@te Head 25 Feb 2013
Arrived in the post today

Took me 10 minutes to detatch it from the box...it's going to be a steep learning curve
ice.solo 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

for what its worth, after going thru all this with a pro film maker just yesterday, the remote for the 3 (the only diff between the black and silver versions) is available separately for about $80 - exact price diff between the black and silver.
 BALD EAGLE 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:
> Took me 10 minutes to detatch it from the box...it's going to be a steep learning curve

Hey Ian just wait till you start using your editing software of choice! I use a Panasonic V700 camcorder on a decent tripod, complimented with a GoPro2 to add an interesting mix of angles and views. I'm a big fan of Sony Vegas and have the 11 HD Platinum version which costs about £30. Although it is very powerful software, I found it straightforward to pick up the basics but have barely scratched the surface in what it can do after a year of using it!
Feel free to have a look at one or two of my latest efforts such as Croesor-Rhosydd, Escalando en Tenerife or Brecon Ice Climbing for example:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chdslDave/videos?view=0&flow=grid
Hope this helps and good luck with your new toy!
Cheers Dave

In reply to BALD EAGLE:
>> Feel free to have a look at one or two of my latest efforts such as Croesor-Rhosydd, Escalando en Tenerife or Brecon Ice Climbing for example:
> http://www.youtube.com/user/chdslDave/videos?view=0&flow=grid
> Hope this helps and good luck with your new toy!
> Cheers Dave

Just watched and enjoyed the Croesor-Rhosydd trip! I have a school caving trip to France lined up for June so may have some questions for you nearer the time....
Phil Payne 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: Where did you get it from for that price?
In reply to Phil Payne: Pixel Deals, Plymouth on e-bay
In reply to Phil Payne: And Argos on-line do the go pro 2 at £179.99
Phil Payne 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: I have the original gopro HD hero, but would like to step up to the Black edition to get the 2.7k@ 30fps and 1080P at 60fps.

As it's going to be used on a copter for aerial video, the lower weight of the GP3 is the big selling point for me.
 Peakpdr 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Im loving my Action pro 3 .. Best £200 spent on a video camera
 Kieran_John 26 Feb 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

He's clearly not much of a pro if he thinks the only difference between silver and black is the remote:

Black:

- Can take more pics per second (30 vs 10)
- Can record in 4k and 2.7k resolutions (admittedly at low fps)
- Has better low light support
- Record at 60fps in 1080p (silver can do just 30)
- 100fps at 960p (silver maxes at 48)
- Record at 120fps at 720p (silver max is 60)
- 240fps in SD
- Higher bit rate (Up to 45mb/s)

A lot of users won't notice that (I'm perfectly happy with my GoPro 2, it does everything I need) but the extra fps may come in handy for those that have got to have slow-mo at high definition, and the better low light performance may be useful for some.
Phil Payne 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Kieran_John: I thought the same thing, but decided not to say anything.
ice.solo 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Kieran_John:

Youre totally right.

I got the long and boring lecture soon after detailing stuff like you say above, combined with a show and tell between a few different versions.
As i clearly couldnt give a shit about any of it, im assuming his first response was taking the piss.

I will stick to other things.
OP Sl@te Head 28 Feb 2013

Looks like I need to invest in micro Sd card...any advice?

I've seen a San Disk 64GB Micro SD on e-bay for about £40....?
 rallymania 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

advice? yes!

don't buy that card... there's a few people on that forum i pointed too above saying you are much better sticking with 32gb cards as the 64gb ones use a different file format, not all PC's can read that format and that there seems to be a too high failure rate at the moment with the 64gb cards

buy a couple of 32gb cards CLASS 10!!!!!! instead

seriously, get yourself over to that forum, there is a lot of good advice and info there for the budding gopro'er

Graham6664 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:
>
>
> Looks like I need to invest in micro Sd card...any advice?
>
> I've seen a San Disk 64GB Micro SD on e-bay for about £40....?

Hi,

If your going to buy a micro SD card have a look on 7 dayshop, they do some good deals on memory cards etc.

they do have their own make but read the reviews first, I find they help the decision making.

Graham.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...