UKC

Maximum amount I can write a cheque for?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Caralynh 21 Feb 2013
Does anyone know if there is an upper limit for writing a personal cheque. It's to a family member, for over £60k. If the money is in my account, is there any reason to complicate matters by going down the CHAPS transfer route?
Thanks!
M0nkey 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Caralynh: Don't think there is any limit unless you some particular agreement with your bank. Might be an idea to call your bank in advance to let them know it's happening so they don't consider it suspicious. Can you not just do a BACS transfer online - that's how I would do it? Free, easy and pretty much instant. All you need is their AC no and SC

Oceanrower 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Caralynh: The amount you can write a cheque for is entirely limited by how much you have in your account.

Or, at least, how good your credit is!
In reply to Caralynh: I don't think so, but if in doubt a word with the bank first to warn them might prevent difficulties. I've written cheques to family members for £30+ k without difficulties before (only once mind, we're not that kind of family).

T.
OP Caralynh 21 Feb 2013
In reply to M0nkey:

Max I can do online is £10k apparently. Calling the bank is usually a nightmare. I would go in, but don't have transport at the mo, and it's a 6 mile round trip to the nearest village. Not that that's overly far, just takes time and I have too much else to do at the moment.
OP Caralynh 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear and Oceanrower:

Thanks for that. Money will be in my account tomorrow and I don't have a penny of debt with the bank. Should be fine then, and I'll try to find a way of letting them know.
In reply to Caralynh:

Not as far as I know. By all means send me a £60k cheque and I will test to see if it works

I once got sent a cheque for £1 but never paid it in as it would have cost more than that to get to the bank and park the car
 coinneach 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

I HAVE A FRIEND IN NIGERIA WHO WILL LOOK AFTER IT FOR you
estivoautumnal 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

No. I have written cheques for similar amounts and never had problems. You can write a cheque for whatever you have in your account.
 Gone 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

You can write a cheque for whatever amount you like. Paying it in will take the recipient a little longer than usual, as it will be over the cashier's floor limit and they will need to fetch senior staff who will smile greasily and ask if sir/madam has any plans for the money. When they are informed it is for a house purchase they will start attempting to sell home insurance, mortgages, wills etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...