UKC

Cleadon Hills/Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
joedowell 22 Feb 2013
Hi all,
going bouldering in the cleadon area of the next few weekends as it is local and i do not have a vehicle at present, is there any need to take a bouldering mat as ive heard the problems are only 4m long. And any directions making it easier to find cleadon quarry crag would be helpful.

Any knowledge would be appreciated.
Thanks
Joe
Stealth 22 Feb 2013
In reply to joedowell:
Mats are handy at all the Cleadon bits, mainly due to the landings, i.e. flat as a pancake but normally resembling a nightclub bottle bin. We’ve even found splintered glass stuck to the rock in some spots. Don’t let this put you off though, you can still normally have a decent scramble about. Let me know where you’re coming in from and I’ll give you directions.
joedowell 22 Feb 2013
In reply to Stealth: I live in Fulwell so I'd be coming in from the Britannia inn pub region
Stealth 22 Feb 2013
In reply to joedowell:

Ok, I assume you’ll be jumping on the 35 bus? Keep an eye out for The New Ship pub and get off at the second stop after, opposite a fenced footy/basketball court. Cross over the road and head up Quarry Lane. Keep going and you’ll come to some football pitches on Cleadon Rec where the hill flattens out, the quarry is at the back, you can’t miss it. The other Cleadon crag, on Cleadon Hills, is more difficult to find and probably isn’t worth the trouble; it’s tiny and is probably so overgrown that access will be an issue. When the weather dries out a bit The Cove at Marsden is much better than both.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 07 Mar 2013
In reply to joedowell:

More details about climbing on The Cleaden Hills can be found at www.climbonline.co.uk

(and www.climbonline.co.uk/PDFs/MiniGuides/CleadonMiniGuide.pdf)

any feedback would be appreciated.
 GridNorth 07 Mar 2013
In reply to joedowell: I would have thought that anything up to 4 metres is exactly where you would want a mat.
joedowell 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Steve Crowe:
that mini guide is very useful, for the approach, thanks. Joe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...