UKC

Avios

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 24 Feb 2013
For many years I have been a member of Airmiles. On several occasions I booked flights with them to various places and was able to book at relatively short notice.

Airmiles became Avios in September 2011 and ever since the flight availabilty seems to be abyssmal. For several planned destinations they are showing no flights on any of the dates I've put in.

They are bloody useless.
OP mypyrex 25 Feb 2013
Anyone else use them?
 AndyC 25 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

Sometimes use them for hotels. Don't use them for flights anymore. Like you say, airmiles had better availability.
KevinD 25 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

i had them via the credit card i have. Cant say its ever seemed much use.
 Greenbanks 25 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

I agree - load of rubbish. You have to plan so far ahead to get anything like a decent set of flight options. I was told - by some Avios person I discussed this with - that to be sure of getting what you wanted you had to book at least 1 year in advance (tho' I didn't think that airlines released flights so much in advance...). Also, Easter, high-season Summer and virtually every other 'holiday' time have minimal availability. Though we have about 200K of these things the juggling and compromises to be made make them pretty unattractive.
 MG 25 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex: Free flight to US last year. Book well ahead.
OP mypyrex 25 Feb 2013
I was also looking at using some points to fly from Manchester to Gatwick. Their catch is that you have to go via the Isle of Man. Bloody stupid.
 Philip 25 Feb 2013
Are the BA avios or is there another? I used my BA avios to fly club to Prague, no problems with dates. Have you checked the route exists on the date you want?
OP mypyrex 25 Feb 2013
In reply to Philip:

BA. And it's Manchester or London to Marrakech.
 kingborris 25 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

It's worth joining BA executive club. That also uses avios, but has different availability for some flights. You can easily transfer avios between your regular avios account and a BA executive club, our back again
 Yanis Nayu 26 Feb 2013
In reply to kingborris: I'd love to, but their IT makes it impossible (((
 Edradour 26 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

I use them quite regularly but they don't offer as good a deal as airmiles used to on flights since you now have to pay taxes, fees etc. For example I was looking at flights to the US in the summer, without avios it is £750 but using 40000 avios miles brings the price down to £450. In effect you are selling 40 000 avoid miles for £300 which isn't a great deal.

Conversely I used them last year for hotels and hire cars and the deals were infinitely better. For example I used 8000 miles to book four nights in a hotel in Florida, worth about £400 and I think that's pretty good.

Is it worth having a look at using you Avios for your hotel in Marrakech rather than the flights?
 waldenmatt 26 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
Just tried to book Lon-Marrakech with avios for April, could get there if I was willing to go midweek but absolutely nothing available coming back until June!
Have changed my plans - definitely much less availability than airmiles used to have. Paris however is wall to wall availability with Avios.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...