UKC

Swanage new BMC Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciderslider 26 Feb 2013
Any ideas as to when this is out ?? Can't be far off ?
 Offwidth 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

Never
 Monkey_Alan 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:
The new CC (not BMC!) guide has been due in "about six months" since I started climbing five years ago.
 GrahamD 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

Definately can't wait ! my old Swanage guide has got damp too many times and is just a thick mess off loose pages now - it'll never go back in the plastic cover with its Portland counterpart (used only once)
 Offwidth 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Monkey_Alan:

Its been late 2012 since Nov 2011 on the CC site on wayback and always more than a year before then. So I guess your "6 months" was about as accurate as their "at least a year"? Having been involved in volunteer produced guidebooks I know its notoriously hard to predict the end of such a project.
 Al Evans 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: A lot of people get the CC mixed up with the BMC, mainly because they are responsible for so many definitive guides, please give the credit where its due.
OP Ciderslider 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Sorry Al, I was recently on the BMC site and am easily confused
 The Ivanator 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: And it is afterall the esteemed "El Presidente" of the BMC who is chief author for the CC guide. Perhaps his presidential duties have slowed progress? I do believe it is going to happen though, I've bumped into a guy working on maps for the new guide whilst at Winspit a couple of years back, so it's not just a myth!
 jimtitt 26 Feb 2013
In reply to The Ivanator:
I think you´ll find he did his authoring duties years ago! The credit for the delays lies elsewhere in the CC system from what I gather.
 The Ivanator 26 Feb 2013
In reply to jimtitt: Good to get an inside line Jim, thanks. Fingers crossed someone starts turning those mysterious cogs at the CC and we see the guide this side of summer. Ivan
 John2 26 Feb 2013
In reply to jimtitt: If Scott were to achieve nothing more in his BMC presidency than to expose the dismal combination of illiteracy, incompetence, apathy and outright dishonesty that comprises the CC guidebook committee then he would have justified his appointment.
 Mr. Lee 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

Lets hope they get it published before the 2017 Somerset guide hits the shelves.
 The Pylon King 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr. Lee:
> (In reply to Ciderslider)
>
> Lets hope they get it published before the 2017 Somerset guide hits the shelves.

quality just cannot be rushed
 GrahamD 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:

> quality just cannot be rushed

equally my old guide can't hold together much longer (and I refuse to revert to some old photocopies of the previous guide I was using waiting for that one to come out )
 The Pylon King 27 Feb 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies)
>
> [...]
>
> equally my old guide can't hold together much longer (and I refuse to revert to some old photocopies of the previous guide I was using waiting for that one to come out )

oh sorry, i was referring to the Somerset guide. I don't think the Swanage guide is that far off now though
 John2 27 Feb 2013
In reply to John2: It has been pointed out to me that my comments in my previous post look as though they are to be applied to all of the CC publications committee and its products. That is of course not the case and I therefore retract them fully. They were based on a single set of very bad experiences working on a particular guidebook.
 Offwidth 28 Feb 2013
In reply to John2:

And you expect people to take you seriously even on this partial climbdown?... how else could it have been read??
 Mr. Lee 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
> (In reply to Big Lee)
> [...]
>
> quality just cannot be rushed

I was indicating my low expectation for seeing the new CC Swanage guide any time soon rather than criticising the time for the Somerset guide to appear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...