UKC

Mo Farah asked: Haven't you run before?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH:
Not the worst interview I've seen but I don't think she'll be taking home any journalism awards for it. You'd have thought they'd have some sort of briefing and maybe a bit of background prepared, Google is a wonderful thing
 Banned User 77 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent: Not great though.. strange as Farrah's very well known over there by anyone who knows anything about running as he's based there and runs with the top US guys..
 tony 26 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

But track and field aren't really very popular in the USA outside the college circuit. And after all, there are enthusiastic runners here who don't know how to spell his name ...
 Mike Highbury 26 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to mkean) Not great though.. strange as Farrah's very well known over there by anyone who knows anything about running as he's based there and runs with the top US guys..

She seems to be exhibiting a reasonable level of boredom.

After all many Americans find athletics about as stimulating as I find the Calcutta Cup.
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> But track and field aren't really very popular in the USA outside the college circuit. And after all, there are enthusiastic runners here who don't know how to spell his name ...

true.. i suppose I tend to associate with runners, but due to his olympic run with Rupp he's got a fairly large profile.
 Postmanpat 26 Feb 2013

She was briefed enough to know the time was remarkable good. You'd have thought on that basis somebody might have spent ten seconds to check his background.
 Jus 26 Feb 2013

"You're off to a great start!" lol
 James90 26 Feb 2013
Just watched this.... he looks a bit bewildered when asked if he has run before.
 martinph78 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH: Typical reporting in a world where being first to report something is more important than actually getting it right!

I wonder if the BBC has seen this? Sure there's a spot on "The One Show" for her, that's equally cringeworthy!
In reply to James90:
> Just watched this.... he looks a bit bewildered when asked if he has run before.

I think she's lucky Moes (just for Tony.. ) such a nice guy..

He made the question to be about the half marathon and didn't just say 'are you for real?'..
Kipper 26 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
>
> He made the question to be about the half marathon and didn't just say 'are you for real?'..

Is this the same interview where he tried to explain that a marathon is twice as long as a half marathon when asked about attempting a marathon?

Ava Adore 26 Feb 2013

HOW many times did she say "wow"??
 Ava Adore 27 Feb 2013

Having chuckled through this again, the thought occurs to me that WHOEVER had won the event would surely have run before! She gets paid for this rubbish interviewing? Sheesh.
 DancingOnRock 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Kipper:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
>
> Is this the same interview where he tried to explain that a marathon is twice as long as a half marathon when asked about attempting a marathon?

Yes. But that's just a slightly different question to how long was the marathon you did? Was it as long as the London?
ruttingstag 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH: a bit disapointed that Mo didn't take the opportunity to take the p***
 doz generale 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

Even if she had no briefing and did no research the fact that he has just broke a record should suggest that he perhaps has done a bit of running in the past! She's a proper moron.
 Trangia 28 Feb 2013

Wow!
 Runtothehills 28 Feb 2013

May have something to do with the Yanks only showing 8hrs of the Olymplics, after thay had finished!!
 The New NickB 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Runtothehills:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH)
>
> May have something to do with the Yanks only showing 8hrs of the Olymplics, after thay had finished!!

The LaTonya Norton award for poor research goes to..........

Whilst they did not show as much as the BBC and are super US centric, they showed hundreds of hours of live, delayed live and same day highlight coverage of the Olympics.

The Paralympic coverage was a highlights package shown after the event was over.
 Banned User 77 28 Feb 2013
In reply to The New NickB: Aye..

I was there for the olympics.

It was on EVERY night, all night. You'd get the replays of all events the US were involved in. So loads of female gymnastics and swimming. There was real genuine interest by the general public in how the USA did. They couldn't give a rats arse about anyone else though..

People are way too gullible

But they were laughing at the Brits being all happy and proud to be British.. and how totally out of character it was...

Philip 01 Mar 2013
It beggars belief that she thought anyone could win a marathon without running before.
 The New NickB 01 Mar 2013
In reply to Philip:
> It beggars belief that she thought anyone could win a marathon without running before.

What annoyed me most about the interview was the fact that she kept referring to the event, in her city, as a marathon. It was a half marathon, surely even the stupidest local news moron can read and hear the word 'half'.
 Liam M 01 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: Whilst they can read and hear 'half' they may not understand/register it - more specifically there appear to be a reasonable number of people who don't realise that marathon refers to a specific distance rather than just any road race.

Most runners at some point seem to have been asked something along the lines of 'so how long is your marathon?' or 'it's not as long as The Marathon [London]'. Have you never found that?
 yorkshireman 01 Mar 2013
In reply to Liam M:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
> Most runners at some point seem to have been asked something along the lines of 'so how long is your marathon?' or 'it's not as long as The Marathon [London]'. Have you never found that?

Many times. And let's not get started on 'ultra'

It seemed to me, with a bit of generosity, that it was just possible to interpret her question as 'have you run the New Orleans half-marathon before?'.

She didn't come over as terribly incisive, though, I agree!

jcm
SethChili 01 Mar 2013
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH: I love american news reporters . This one still isn't as good the tv station in north dakota that ran a story for several hours about a squirrel with a yogart pot on it's head running around on a frozen lake . Makes the bbc seem fairly competent in comparison ..
 The New NickB 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Liam M:
> (In reply to The New NickB)

> Most runners at some point seem to have been asked something along the lines of 'so how long is your marathon?' or 'it's not as long as The Marathon [London]'. Have you never found that?

I genuinely haven't.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH: Isn't it just that he was flummoxed by her frightful English..."Haven't you run before?" To me that sounds meaningless.
 MikeTS 05 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to Philip)
> [...]
>
> What annoyed me most about the interview was the fact that she kept referring to the event, in her city, as a marathon.

Actually, the word marathon can and is used generically as a long distance running event.
 Banned User 77 05 Mar 2013
In reply to MikeTS: It can be.. but very rarely..

I get the 'how long is an ultra'.. which is totally understandable as a half and a marathon are generally set distances yet an ultra is anything beyond 26.2..

But any road race which is a marathon will be 26.2.. I think, I can't think of any that aren't.

In the European mountain running a marathon can be anything from 40-45 km, and then things like mountain marathons are anything.. now that confuses people..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...