UKC

Elbrus Traverse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexm198 26 Feb 2013
Currently doing a bit of logstical planning for a N to S traverse of Elbrus this summer. However, as most of the human infrastructure is based around the South side (all the tourist routes/huts/etc) we're having a bit of an issue with arranging transport (public or 4x4) from Kislovodsk to the base of the North side of the mountain.

Just wondering if anyone knew of any potential solutions to the issue. Anyone have any contacts/recommend any good tour companies that could help with transport on the North side? We've been in touch with Pilgrim Tours already and they seemed skeptical about whether they'd be able to help.

Cheers!
 pass and peak 27 Feb 2013
In reply to alexm198:
What dates were you thinking off?
OP alexm198 28 Feb 2013
In reply to pass and peak: We're in Russia from 2nd-19th July but we arrive Kislovodsk early on the 5th July. Looking to head back from Elbrus to Kislovodsk in order to get the train back on the 14th July.
redsonja 28 Feb 2013
In reply to alexm198: EWP might be able to help. if you cant find them under EWP, try geographic bureau
OP alexm198 28 Feb 2013
In reply to heidi123: Might be being a numpty here, but what does the EWP stand for? Cursory google of 'EWP' returns stock values for the iShares MSCI Spain Index!
OP alexm198 01 Mar 2013
In reply to paulmck: Super, cheers. Just fired off an email in their direction so hopefully they'll be able to help. Thanks again!
 pass and peak 04 Mar 2013
In reply to alexm198:
OK lads I've been speaking to some of my Russian friends over their and they tell me there's now a new road nearing completion up to the N side base camp, lots of people are there trying to make money offering lifts up in their 4wd's, so there's no problem that way. Only problem you will have is the language barrier, so I will try and get a few contact details off them and see if any of the companies speak English. EWP might come through for you anyway, but if they don't let me know. I'll be in Stavropol in Early June but then have trek to run from Sochi so can't help you physicaly, will be gone by time you arrive. If you get stuck give me a shout I'm sure we could sort something out. info@passandpeak.com
alexey dolinin 04 Mar 2013
In reply to alexm198:
I'd very much recommend circling the mountain starting from the village Elbrus, onto the North side via Irikchat pass and then traversing the ice fields until it's possible to turn S and reach the saddle. For an acclimatised party, this should take some 4 days (without speeding) and you get to see a lot.
 pass and peak 04 Mar 2013
In reply to alexey dolinin:
Your right its a great area if the weather is good, but last year we were stuck for 2 days and nights just above the Irikchat pass after coming of Peak Kalistkoga, http://markswalks.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/russia-part-ii-25-3108/ plus there's quite a few crevasse's around the route so if its a wet glacier and bad vis you need to know what your doing, good route though if you can manage to carry all the supplies for the length of time it will take you to do the whole circle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...