UKC

Lundy Island Trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joel Perkin 26 Feb 2013
Hi Guys, I'm considering a trip out to Lundy Island because it looks pretty amazing. However I have a few questions to ask.

- Would it be possible to sea kayak over and stow the kayaks for a couple of days?
- When is the best time to go?
- Is there any specific kit that you might need to climb, outside of a usual climbing rack.
-What routes would you recommend for a HS/VS leader? (other than Devils Slide)

Thanks in advanced
 Tom Valentine 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Joel Perkin:

Horseman's Route.
 Kevster 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine: true adventure, turn up with kit, buy guide in post office, progress to tavern, ask for route recommendations. Enjoy.
It is a fantastic place.
 Alan Dixon 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Joel Perkin:
Not sure on the Kayaking though I did see some knocking about, so potentially an option.

You may find a decent length AB rope a good addition to your normal kit list. Loads of great routes at all grades. Can be tricky locating decsent gullies etc so take care.

If you are camping they let you take extra kit, although having said that I wouldn't pay to much attention the baggage limit - no-one checked our stuff.

Its a great place, really good climbing.
 london_huddy 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Joel Perkin:

I've just got back from my 5th trip there (although this was my first in winter).

Sea Kayaking - can't comment on getting there but would suggest just getting the boat across but taking your kayaks with you (small fee with the Lundy Shore Office).

Definitely think about a long ab rope. After some fun approaches this last weekend, I'll be replacing the 100m static I foolishly sold...

Routes at HS or so off the top of my head:
Horseman's Route
Walrus
Integrity

I'd take some tri-cams because they work well in flared cracks.
Snorkelling gear is also worth taking for wet days and for the playful seals.

Enjoy it, it's an amazing place.
 Tom Last 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Joel Perkin:

Second mooring fee, ab rope and swimming with seals.

Diamond Solitaire at VS is pretty much unmissable.
 Mark Bull 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Joel Perkin:

Best to go after the end of the bird bans, i.e. August/September.

Other good VSs: Albion, Road Runner, Shamrock, Eclipse (you will need a spare rope or 2 for the approach to this one, though!)
In reply to deepstar:

Is Toni Carver's account of a more-exciting-than-usual crossing on the internet, I wonder?

jcm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...