UKC

Where can I take my 5 year old climbing in the southern lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alanlgm 02 Mar 2013
I am going to be in ulverston over Easter weekend and want to take my daughter climbing outside.

Can anyone suggest a good place for me to go and set up a top rope where she will be able to get a routeborntwo done. She climbs indoors and has messed about outside but this would be her first proper outdoor trip so I want somewhere where she is likely to succeed.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Alan
 Radioactiveman 02 Mar 2013
In reply to alanlgm:

Hutton roof is quite good lots of very short routes, close to the road.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=466
 Baron Weasel 02 Mar 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman: Lindale Slabs - nice and easy top roping with bolt belays Does get used for Mountain Rescue training and groups sometimes though...

BW
 Jim Lancs 02 Mar 2013
In reply to alanlgm:

The nearest really easy venue is Lindale Slabs with several Mods and Diffs.

But there's also Hoad Slabs in Ulverston itself with a Diff, VDiff, Severe, HS and VS.
 Heybaz 02 Mar 2013
In reply to alanlgm: You have mail...
alanlgm 02 Mar 2013
Wow that was fast
Thanks for the info guys. Lindale sounds like it could be a good shout.

I had thought of looking at the hoad but wasn't sure if it would be suitable for a little un although I do know that it's meant to be a nice walk so it may be worth just trying my luck and enjoying the views as well.

Last time we were up there we went to ulpha and I chucked a rope up on a crag in the little car park and she loved it but might need a little more of a challenge

Any other places that are a nice walk could also be good

Cheers guys

And although not this time around but another time. Trip on a lake might be fun
alanlgm 02 Mar 2013
In reply to Heybaz: thanks for the info
 whispering nic 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Heybaz:

hi Haybaz. I visit the Ulverston area quite often with my 4 and 5 year olds, any beta on child friendly crags gratefully received!
 andy 03 Mar 2013
In reply to alanlgm: Sea level bouldering at Humphrey Head if the tide's right can be fun.
 wilkie14c 03 Mar 2013
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to alanlgm) Sea level bouldering at Humphrey Head if the tide's right can be fun.

Second that, take a bucket and spade! My daughter like the south Lakes animal park, a handy diversion if the weather is poor
In reply to alanlgm:

Fairy steps is a nice setting, although the climbing's not that great compared to Hutton Roof. Warton Upper also if you're around N Lancs Limestone.

I'd be tempted by Hoad slabs since it's so close, accessible and someone's mutilated the top with five hundred bolts.
 nickcj 04 Mar 2013
In reply to alanlgm: there is also birkrigg quarry just outside Ulverston. Might be worth getting the Eden & sth lakes guide as there is loads in there to go at.
 andy 04 Mar 2013
In reply to nickcj:
> (In reply to alanlgm) there is also birkrigg quarry just outside Ulverston. Might be worth getting the Eden & sth lakes guide as there is loads in there to go at.

Not sure Birkrigg's up to much for a nipper - it's either steep and fingery and solid or loose and chossy.

Lindale's the best bet for "proper climbing" for a young 'un in my view.
 Scott Quinn 04 Mar 2013
In reply to alanlgm:
Lindale Slabs & the Hoad have to be the best suggestions considering the easy angled routes with handy bolts at the top, but the climbing is very limited.

Maybe it would be worth looking at whitestones on the a590 just past Ulverston with a good spread of routes. Top rope anchors do exist but a rigging rope would help massively.

Another crag I've noticed alot of young children climbing on is Lower Scout Crags in langdale Short routes from vd up only a stones throw from the road.
In reply to scott quinn:

Whitestones is a rubbish suggestion. The path along the bottom of the crag is pretty steep and above a precipitous heap of brambles, and the routes are probably a bit long for easy communication. And rigging a rope at the top and getting back down again would be faffy. Lindale is a much better suggestion (I've never been to the Hoad).
 Scott Quinn 04 Mar 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics:

Faffy, definately! The climbing is abit better but everything Victim said is true best ignore me :P
 GrahamD 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman:

I'd agree with Hutton Roof as a venue. The big grassy base of the climbs is perfect for letting kids run off steam. Not quite roadside though !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...