UKC

MIC. Am I too old?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Superchop75 02 Mar 2013
So I'm now in a situation where I'd like to get some qualifications under my harness!
I'm in the fortunate position where I can dedicate 3 months a year solid to training/consolidation.

At age 37 is it unrealistic to go for the MIC?

I'm just going through the ML process.

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers
Chris
 Trangia 02 Mar 2013
In reply to Superchop75:

At 37!?

You jest, surely young man?
 Paul at work 02 Mar 2013
In reply to Superchop75:

Depends on why you are doing it? Personal satisfaction or for work?

Rob Johnson page http://www.expeditionguide.com/Qualification%20Structure.php gives a good example of the time required to do to reach MIC, if you weren't aware of what is required.
 Mr.Ric 02 Mar 2013
In reply to Superchop75: I don't think that's too old at all. Especially if you've done a lot in the past! i.e. if you've already amassed a solid logbook full of summer/winter climbs, walks, scrambles and leadership days you'll be well on your way already despite only just starting out with assessments.

OP Superchop75 02 Mar 2013
In reply to Paul at work:

That's a great link thanks!

Gives me plenty to think about and aspire to.

It's a combination of personal goals and a career I'm aiming for.

Trangia 02 Mar 2013
In reply to Superchop75:

Sorry if my previous post sounded frivolous, but what I meant was that at 37 you are still only about half way through your climbing career. There is no reason why given good health you haven't got at least 30 years climbing (instructing) ahead of you and probably more, so of course you are not "too old".

Good luck! I say go for it!
redsonja 02 Mar 2013
In reply to Superchop75: too old? why do you think that? no you're not
 Phill Mitch 02 Mar 2013
In reply to Superchop75: I have a friend that started instructing at the age of 59 after being made redundant. Go for it. He now makes a good living and loves his job. It's never too late to enjoy your job.
 goatee 02 Mar 2013
In reply to Superchop75: Leaning more to the opposite if you ask such an odd question.
 butteredfrog 02 Mar 2013
In reply to Superchop75:

Toying with MIA at the moment, am 43 this year.

Adam
redsonja 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Phill Mitch: good on him. thats inspiring to read
OP Superchop75 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Superchop75:

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Registered for my ML.

Keep you all posted!
In reply to Superchop75: No, not at all. I just did my MIC training and I'm 38 this month.

However, you DO need to be mountain fit. I am not currently not nearly fit enough to pass my assessment and will need to work on my fitness. However that will come from 2-3 months of spending 20+ days a month doing big mountain days, which I have not been doing, living in Somerset.

Email me if you want any more info on what the training course was like.
 pass and peak 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Superchop75:
46 next week and working as ML, WML, just started 2 years ago. mind you I'm broke half the time and if I had a wife and kids to support its a non starter, still I love the work. Only thing you need to remember is your earnings rely completely on your health, something which gets harder as you get older. Wish I had started when I was 37, I'd have been an MIC long ago
 whispering nic 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Superchop75:

I was the youngest on my MIC assessment course at the tender age of 39...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...