UKC

Driving to Lofoten

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cinders 03 Mar 2013
Hello all,
I've been doing some extensive research and found some really good info:
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopicp-977128.html
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=496682
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=518829

Two of us plan to drive our VW Caddy camper roughly between 1st Aug to 29th Aug 3013.

The best route we have found to date is:
Dover <cheap ferry> Calais <drive> Hirtshals <€130 ferry> Langesund <drive> Narvik

Can anyone suggest a better alternative?
 Jones_88 03 Mar 2013
In reply to cinders:
I wouldn't leave it that late to be honest,I don't know how old you are now but personally I would advise you to do the journey at least 980 years earlier.
Clauso 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Jones_88:

Now, now... There's nothing wrong with a bit of forward planning.

Don't try to tell me that you haven't considered what YOU'LL be doing in August, 3013?
 Mattyk 03 Mar 2013
In reply to cinders: When we drove we were fortunate to get the newcastle ferry (RIP). But my advice would be to thoroughly research alternative climbing destinations on the way up. We spent some time in nissedal/setesdal which was really good and quiet. then romsdal which was wet but had the potential to be amazing. we also did stetind on way before crossing to lofoten. make sure you have a laptop so you can get up to date weather and get topos on the journey.

It was my 2nd trip to lofoten (the first we flew and got a train from stockholm = very cheap) and having a car was very very useful and gave lots of flexibility. Its a long drive but enjoyable if you break it up - i'd definitely seek out other spots and be prepared to react to the changing weather.. although sometimes you can get rooted to a location through doggedness of trying to get routes done. the best stuff we did was when we checked forecast and gambled on an 18 hour drive to catch a route before the rain

Enjoy
Matt
toffer 03 Mar 2013
In reply to cinders:

I heard whilst working over there that the Newcastle to Bergen ferry was going to start up again this Summer, anyone know anything more about this, cant find anything on the web
 ERU 09 Mar 2013
In reply to toffer:
> (In reply to cinders)
>
> I heard whilst working over there that the Newcastle to Bergen ferry was going to start up again this Summer, anyone know anything more about this, cant find anything on the web

I think it's a myth that has been floating about since it closed...
mazzza 17 Mar 2013
In reply to cinders:
If your plan is to drive to Lofoten without stopping by any other area you should consider traveling through Sweden. From my experiance driving in Norway takes alot of time.
 HeMa 17 Mar 2013
In reply to mazzza: ding ding...

ferry to calais then to germany and denmark... then to sweden with the brigde (open 24h, unlike the ferries). Stop for some climbing in Bohuslan (or bouldering in Kjugekull). Then up the nice big roads of Sweden to Kiruna, then Narvik Norway and finally Lofoten.
 RAK 17 Mar 2013
In reply to cinders:
Also check the Calais-Dunkirk ferry, we used it in the past as it was cheaper (and saves a whole 25km in driving!).
 scott titt 17 Mar 2013
In reply to RAK:
> (In reply to cinders)
> Also check the Calais-Dunkirk ferry, we used it in the past as it was cheaper (and saves a whole 25km in driving!).

Calais to Dunkirk ferry! I bet the motorway is quicker!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...