UKC

New double ropes help needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adam T 03 Mar 2013
Hi All,
i am looking to buy some new double ropes, but cannot decide on 50m or 60m and make/model. I am looking for a good all rounder if possible for winter in Scotland, North Wales summer, and manly in the wye valley.
Also the grades would be, rock VD-HVS winter upto IV/V.
I have looked through the older threads and still confused.
Adam
 mattking_109 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam T: Most people I know in Scotland use 60s. I recently bought a pair of DMM prophets as they seemed good for all year round use, and I've been very happy with them...

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN162
 james1978 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam T: 60s every time... hell, 70s if you can get them.
 Kafoozalem 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam T:

I'd be interested to know where all these 60m VD-HVS pitches are. In my experience routes of this standard were generally established decades ago when short pitches were the norm. I have recently scaled down to 50m from 60m for my trad ropes and I am happy with less weight on the walk in and less rope to take in at every belay.
I recently discovered they were just long enough to scale the full height of Bosigran in one pitch if the second climbs the first two metres!
In reply to Kafoozalem: I'm with you on this one, outside of the Alps I'll take 50m over 60m pretty much all the time.
 danwilliams99 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam T:

60m Mammut genesises would be my recommendation. Really slick ropes but durable as well.

http://www.joe-brown.com/outdoor-equipment/mammut_pair_genesis_85mm_x_60m_s...
 John Kelly 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Kafoozalem:
climbed on skinny 60's for ages
can only ever recall using the full 60m on easy winter ground
my main activity is lakes trad
unfortunately my partner is wedded to 60's
my rope, 10m=400g
anyone remember 45m ropes
OP Adam T 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Kafoozalem:
> (In reply to Adam T)
>
> I'd be interested to know where all these 60m VD-HVS pitches are.
Hi Kafoozalem i was thinking about abseiling not the pitches as my local crag is Wintours leap, also for getting off routes in winter.

I am with you on the weight difference between the 50m and 60m as carrying a wet rope up to SCNL was not much fun.

OP Adam T 04 Mar 2013
In reply to John Kelly:
> anyone remember 45m ropes

Thats what i have at the moment.

GridNorth 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam T: In 50 years of climbing extensively throughout the UK I have never encountered a route that could not be climbed on 50 metre half ropes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...