UKC

Long stay climbing insurance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 carl dawson 04 Mar 2013
I'm going on a road trip/climbing, for 5 months around Europe.

Seems like getting annual climbing insurance which includes continuous stays of longer than 90 days is a tricky one though.

Any advice on how to get something that does the job?

Cheers
Carl
 mmmhumous 04 Mar 2013
In reply to carl dawson:

Membership of the Austrian Alpine club: http://aacuk.org.uk/ get's you "mountain rescue insurance" for the year.
OP carl dawson 05 Mar 2013
Thanks, looks like it might be a combination of ordinary travel insurance plus Austrian Alpine club unless someone has another suggestion?

Carl
 jayjackson 05 Mar 2013
In reply to carl dawson:
Phone the BMC and you may be able to sort out a more bespoke package.

Have only ever heard good things about the AAC mentioned above.

Snowcard Insurance also may offer you something.

Personally I always go with the BMC since I feel that even though I don't make a claim, the money I spent on the policy is supporting an organisation that benefits me (and also because I'm too lazy to hunt around for better deals!).
 duchessofmalfi 05 Mar 2013
+1 to phoning the BMC and discussing it with them - I've done this. Apart from anything it is refreshing to get someone on the end of the phone who actually knows what they are doing.
OP carl dawson 05 Mar 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll speak to the BMC although it doesn't look promising from their web site.

Plenty of climbers do go off on long road trips.... are they uninsured? Or have they found a company whose products suit climbers' needs?

Would ordinary travel insurance plus the Austrian Alpine Club's mountain rescue policy do the job? Strange that no British insurers appear to cover all this in one package.

Carl
rolfe360Expeditions 05 Mar 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:
Second this post for excellent insurance deals for all climbers. I found them to have much more flexible policies catering for "tricky" people like myself. ie I am an Australian living in France and therefore not eligible for BMC insurance limited to brit residence only.
The Austrian Alpine club also does great Mtn professional insurance!
 jimbo85 05 Mar 2013
In reply to carl dawson:

Just phoned the BMC last time I did a long trip.

Got annual worldwide cover and was straightforward to remove the 90 day trip limit. In fact the policy ended up saying a single trip could last up to 15 months!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...