UKC

Using UKC Logbook to record SPA Supervision

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BelleVedere 05 Mar 2013
I'm just wondering if anyone has found an easy way to record SPA supervison sessions using the UKC logbooks. I was thinking indoor so far.

I was thinking of using the exercise diary function - but then when i look closer i can't see a way to export this.

if anyone has cunning workarounds i'd like to hear about them.

S.x
 dale1968 05 Mar 2013
In reply to BelleVedere: ah the cunning pen and paper trick.... don't tell everyone....
OP BelleVedere 05 Mar 2013
In reply to dale1968: Um yeah

but i move house all the time - so i'm working on not having so much physical stuff (stuff that i can loose, or find 4 years later in my mums attic).
 cuppatea 05 Mar 2013
In reply to BelleVedere:

Why not make a spreadsheet or a list and email it to yourself. Then you won't lose it.

Or you could use that Cloud thing I've heard young people talk about.
 duchessofmalfi 05 Mar 2013
UKC occasionally make noises about working on a better logbook for recording training but don't hold you breath...

Record the supervision stuff in the free text notes section and try to keep to a standard format / layout, if you do this you'll probably be able to to sort the categories out later by downloading the log book.

I suggest you clone the paper logbook headings (I can't recall these) into a little block of text you can paste into each note and fill in every time.

Alternatively do as suggested by dale1968 but if you belong to the generation that can no longer use a pen or paper just do it on the computer. If you belong to the generation that can no longer type let alone write just text yourself the notes each time.

You will need them on paper eventually!

JimboWizbo 05 Mar 2013
In reply to BelleVedere: Use a google document, I use them for lots of things that I update from different sources. The spreadsheet can be exported
 HeMa 05 Mar 2013
In reply to cuppatea:

Google drive spreadsheet...

if you're smart, you can do some gimmicky to add trackin' fees there as well.
In reply to BelleVedere:

If you click on 'Download All' on your My Logbook page then this downloads a spreadsheet of al the climbs you have logged which is in the format required for SPA Logbooks.

The only problem with it is that it does download all so you may need to tinker with the data in Excel of the like to edit the results into the format you want.

Alan
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

yeah - i can download my logbook - but can't see how to download diary (they're different right?)...
In reply to HeMa:

yeah i can do that ( i love the cloud me) - i guess it just seemed logical to keep all my climbing related logs in one place (eg. UKC where my personal log is).
 Andy Say 05 Mar 2013
In reply to BelleVedere:
The boffins at Mountain Training are working on an 'e-log'; initially to be used for those going through the coaching awards but eventually to be rolled out for all awards. I think the initial phase should be up and running in a couple of month's time.
As the chief boffin is currently indulging in some R 'n' R in what I believe to be ace conditions in Scotland I can't really be more specific! But watch this space for on-line log books for SPA etc.
OP BelleVedere 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
> (In reply to BelleVedere)
>
> If you click on 'Download All' on your My Logbook page then this downloads a spreadsheet of al the climbs you have logged which is in the format required for SPA Logbooks.
>
> The only problem with it is that it does download all so you may need to tinker with the data in Excel of the like to edit the results into the format you want.
>
> Alan

OK i have a suggestion - if on the indoor crag there was a route called supervision that would work right?
 bpmclimb 09 Mar 2013
In reply to BelleVedere:
> I'm just wondering if anyone has found an easy way to record SPA supervison sessions using the UKC logbooks.

I'm surprised MLTE don't have an online logbook facility by now
 AlH 09 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb: Ummm see Andy's post 2 above yours.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 10 Mar 2013
In reply to BelleVedere: Hi

This might be pulled, as I am going to link to my coaching site. I have put all the MLT logbooks as a free facility on http://icoachclimbing.com .

One aspect I feel is important is the reflective practice side of coaching and instructing, as such below each form for any coaching/instruction sessions I have highlighted ways in which you can reflect on these lessons and try and learn from them. You have to go to the coaching section of the website, same sign in as the main site and register as a coach.

timjones 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Andy Say:
> (In reply to BelleVedere)
> The boffins at Mountain Training are working on an 'e-log'; initially to be used for those going through the coaching awards but eventually to be rolled out for all awards. I think the initial phase should be up and running in a couple of month's time.
> As the chief boffin is currently indulging in some R 'n' R in what I believe to be ace conditions in Scotland I can't really be more specific! But watch this space for on-line log books for SPA etc.

Is it going to make it easier to produce an easily digested list of recent activity than the current paper system?

bpmclimb 10 Mar 2013
In reply to AlH:
> (In reply to bpmclimb) Ummm see Andy's post 2 above yours.

Oh yes. Missed that one. D'oh!
 bpmclimb 10 Mar 2013
In reply to timjones:
> (In reply to Andy Say)
> [...]
>
> Is it going to make it easier to produce an easily digested list of recent activity than the current paper system?

Well it depends what, and how much you are entering. The paper system is adequate if you've modest numbers of routes/days, but a complete pain if you have loads.
 timjones 10 Mar 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:
> (In reply to timjones)
> [...]
>
> Well it depends what, and how much you are entering. The paper system is adequate if you've modest numbers of routes/days, but a complete pain if you have loads.

I was looking at it from the other end. I find checking MLT logbooks when assessing people for a Scout permit is an absoloute nightmare. Instead of having a personal climbing section and an instructing section you are confronted with separate sections for CWA, CWLA, SPA etc. It makes for unduly hard work to gain a simple impression of a candidates experience.

Given that it is in effect a persons CV it really should be better structured out of fairness to the owner of the log IMHO.
John1923 10 Mar 2013
In reply to BelleVedere:

I think that you should use mySQL, it's pretty straight-forwards and well documented.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...