UKC

Ferry advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maybe_si 05 Mar 2013

Hey folks

I am off to Font and then Cornwall pretty soon, I plan on heading Dover-Calais on the way out but then on the way back I was thinking about possibly getting a different crossing to reduce my driving time.

I have done Dover-Calais hundereds of times but never any other crossing? Any advice is most welcome?

Is it worth having a look at Portsmouth-Le Havre or a different crossing?

The idea of driving from Font-Calais-Dover-Lands End just seems a bit daft!

Cheers

Si
 ojp 05 Mar 2013
In reply to maybe_si:

Im off to France in 2 weeks ive found these the cheapest so far

http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/ferry-routes/ferry-to-france/

S
 IPPurewater 05 Mar 2013
In reply to maybe_si: http://www.ferryoffers.co.uk/

DFDS usually give me the best offer Dover Calais.

There is also a Plymouth Roscoff ferry. Scroll down the list of routes on the left hand side on the link I've given you above, to get a quote.

Hope you have a good trip.

Ian
 James FR 05 Mar 2013
In reply to maybe_si:

If you want to minimise driving time, Saint Malo to Plymouth is probably the best bet. Fast motorway from Font as far as Rennes, then still quite good motorway type roads to Saint Malo (as long as you don't plan on driving there on a Friday evening).

It's a long crossing though, obviously!
 AlisonSmiles 05 Mar 2013
In reply to maybe_si: I've done Portsmouth le Havre because of the saving on the fuel for the van once I got to the other side. I think the outwards journey is overnight so the cost goes up if you can't picture sleeping in a seat.
 Bruce Hooker 05 Mar 2013
In reply to maybe_si:

It may seem odd but Dover-Calais usually works out better in terms of speed as the other crossings are long. If you want to take it easy and enjoy the trip then that's another matter. What ever you do buy in advance on internet, turning up and buying at the port, as we used to do, costs a lot more. It's also worth checking well as sometimes you save quite a bit by buying a return on the same crossing, although this seems to be changing a bit. The main factor is the time and day you cross.

I always take the tunnel now but that's because I cross so often I'm not worried about the pleasure of the sea crossing and also because I buy a 10 trip voucher which is both cheap and very handy - you can change your crossing time and day on internet for no charge until 24 hours before the crossing but you have to use all 10 crossings in a year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...