UKC

Liner Socks - Reccomendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 05 Mar 2013
Hullo Gents.

I'd like to find a couple of pairs of liner socks. They need to help with blisters and rubbing in not superbly comfortable boots. The boots aren't fixable.

For now insulation isn't a problem, so keeping my feet dry and cool is good. Need to be at least mid calf in length.

Any thoughts?
 freerangecat 05 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer:

A different option (from a non-gent ) is taping the point on you feet where you get blisters as a pre-emptive measure. The skin on my feet seems quite bluster prone whatever socks I use in my current boots, and I can't justify new ones atm. Good tape works very well though. Mine is called Strappal.

Cat
 colina 05 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer: get some large compeed and fix to ankle before walking.failing that Cotswold do liner socks £15 coolmax ,supposed to be good .;personally I prefer compeed although its not cheap .may be able to buy online mind.
In reply to neuromancer:
> Any thoughts?

Sell your boots and buy a pair that fit.
 BnB 05 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer: Elecrical insulation tape on the pressure points. Bye bye blisters.
 GeoffRadcliffe 05 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer: Bridgedale do some nice liner socks which I wear when I go walking. Before that, I used to wear Cool Max liners. I walways wear good quality liner socks combined with good quality walking socks. I can't remember the last time I had a blister on my feet. If you have trouble with boots fitting, you can also invest in some volume reducers. Also, consider different lacing systems.
 Dino Dave 05 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer: As previously said, taping and blister prone area beforehand works a treat. I just use climbing tape - works great for me - even after the blisters have formed, I just tape them up and they feel fine. Much better than the plasters that just peel off from rubbing. Taking the tape off can be interesting sometimes though!!
 freerangecat 05 Mar 2013
In reply to DavidRex:

The strappal stuff is v similar to climbing tape but comes in different widths, which is handy.
 thedatastream 05 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer:

Bridgedale Cool Max liner socks + cheap zinc oxide tape from eBay on likely pressure points.

Apply the tape ahead of time, not after it has started hurting.
OP neuromancer 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Thanks for the condescention, but it said in my post the boots aren't fixable. This is not because they do not fit, but because they are inherently uncomfortable and cheap boots. Not that it's important, but this isn't for leisure activities, but yomping at rmas.

Thanks for the suggestions of zo tape, and I am already stocking up on leukotap, which is like zo but it sticks to wet feet.

More after feedback on the bridgedales - how high do they come up? How smelly do they get? For say, 7 days, how many pairs would you take?
 Monk 06 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer:
> (In reply to TRip)
>

> More after feedback on the bridgedales - how high do they come up? How smelly do they get? For say, 7 days, how many pairs would you take?

I use these (and other coolmax liners). They are about as high as normal everyday socks (i.e. lower shin). They are most pleasant when changed daily, but I find that I am able to stay in the same small tent as them after 3 days (not sure I've tried longer).
 gear boy 07 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer:Smartwool do a knee length merino liner, stuck with boots, bummer, bridge dale coolmax are a good option, in the past have even used 2 thin and 1 thcker to try and reduce rubbing, is there definately no option on swapping boots, as cheap boots are as much as a few pairs of expensive socks?
 GridNorth 07 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer: Duct tape on the heels works a treat and does not ruckle up like other tapes.
 ripper 07 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer: I've used bridgedales as liners when hiking and skiing, including skiing in hired boots, and they've made all the difference. I also use them for climbing when on long easy routes with my comfy multi-pitch rock shoes. As said they're the height of yer average street socks (at least mine are), I've never had to wear a pair more than two days running - after that they were not exactly toxic but definitely less pleasant than when fresh... There are almost certainly more expensive socks out there with magic yarn ingredients that mean you can wear them for a week without them turning rank. Might cost more for one pair of those than 2-3 pairs of bridgedales or similar though...
OP neuromancer 07 Mar 2013
In reply to gear boy:

>def no option for swapping boots

>this isn't for leisure activities, but yomping at rmas

By that I mean, these are issued boots and I have to have proper gammy feet to get some nice plush altbergs and lowas. By that I mean I'm going to sandhurst, but since the response of army forum types to "which liner sock" is "your fookin feet, man up", I thought I'd ask where i'm more at home!
 gear boy 08 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer: OK but there are a fair few squaddies who buy their own boots..

with issue boots, you could spend money on footbeds, socks and the like and still not be comfy, or go and shell out for a pair that fits

It will be the best solution to your problem
OP neuromancer 08 Mar 2013
In reply to gear boy:

> squaddies
> sandhurst

They buy them once doing the job. And a good idea, and I would, too. But they don't get to buy them during basic. Which isn't all too bad, given the intensity of basic.

We do the first fourteen weeks of phase 1 training in five weeks and we don't get to wear our own boots then or any other week of the forty four weeks of training.

Stupid, but it's a game. So one plays it!

gear boy 08 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer: and everyone says you sandhurst boys get it easy!
OP neuromancer 08 Mar 2013
In reply to gear boy:

We just get more shiny shit for our uniforms.
 thedatastream 08 Mar 2013
In reply to neuromancer:
> More after feedback on the bridgedales - how high do they come up? How smelly do they get? For say, 7 days, how many pairs would you take?

Two pairs, rotate daily IMO

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...