UKC

Petzl Corax size issues?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Derry 05 Mar 2013
Just bought a new harness online; the Petzl Corax. Saw the size charts and being a 33 inch waist I went for the size 2 (29-45 inch capacity) but have found that it is much larger than expected. I only just fit into it with the straps pulled tight to their limit. Either I've lost a load of weight (chance would be a fine thing) or the size chart is wrong. Planning on swapping it for the size 1 but with the upper limit of this harness supposed to be 35 inches I'm a bit hesitant if these aren't accurate either.

Anyone else had issues with this harness or have I just got a dud?
 Lamb 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Derry: The sizes are funny, I have the size 1 and I have a 32 inch waist, I have to have the straps pulled as tight as they can to fit in it. So if you have a 33 inch waist you will be fine with the size 1.
 Taurig 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Derry:

Found the same with the Adjama. Bought it in a shop so I knew what I was getting, but I have it nearly cinched to the max on a harness that I should be in the middle range of going by the size guide. It's a reason not to bother losing the midriff fat if anything.
OP Derry 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Derry:

cheers guys, thanks for the info.
michaelc 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Lamb:
Same story in my case (Corax Size-1, I've 32" waist, and can tighten it down a lot). Not sure if the sizing is done so as to account for wearing over-layers and mountaineering stuff (as opposed to t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms I wear at wall).

As a harness it's grand, but after looking at my wife's Wild Country I think I'd go WC if I was buying another one (probably in about 5 years time! so probably they'll all have change the designs by then anyway)
Bomber 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Lamb:

+1

Go for a size 1.
 Andy DB 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Derry: Never got on with petzl sizing I found that the size one fitted my waist but by fat thighs only just got in it and a size two was too big round the waist but fitted my legs great.

so I bought a wild country harness
 Cameron94 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Derry: I have a 32" waist and a size 1 with the straps pulled pretty close to their limit.
OP Derry 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Derry:

Interesting that their sizing is so out. Is the upper range on the Size 1 quite large then?

I contacted Petzl to see what the story was and all they said was to talk to the UK Distributor. Not very helpful
 Mr Fuller 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Derry: Yeah, same story here. I've a 30" waist and the size 1 has to tightened right up to the stops, though the leg loops haven't that much room in.
 Hannes 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Derry: Petzl harnesses are a little funny with regards to sizing. I have a 32-33" waist and have mine cinched all the way up as well, doesn't really matter though. Are you ever going to wear less than when you tested it?

Also be aware that lots of places won't accept a harness back, even for a size swap
 Ron Walker 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Derry:

We had the same problems with the new Petzl Adjama harnesses which we sold and downsized from medium to small. The new models seem to be much bigger!!!
OP Derry 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Hannes:
> (In reply to derryclimbs) Petzl harnesses are a little funny with regards to sizing. I have a 32-33" waist and have mine cinched all the way up as well, doesn't really matter though. Are you ever going to wear less than when you tested it?

After a winter of not much activity I'm hoping to drop a few pounds come the summer, so definitely don't want something just on its limit.

>
> Also be aware that lots of places won't accept a harness back, even for a size swap

Luckily i contacted the seller and they are happy to swap it free of charge and are also going to pay for the postage costs to return it. Bonus!

cuppatea 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Hannes:
> (In reply to derryclimbs)
> Also be aware that lots of places won't accept a harness back, even for a size swap

What about the distance selling regulations? Are they trumped by the PPE law?

A friendly shop that I won't mention the name of offered to post me two harnesses and would accept the posted return of the one that didn't fit.

Is it a European law that PPE can't be returned, or is it a guidline of some sort?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...