UKC

Inchnadamph hotel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 05 Mar 2013
Hi. Does the hotel have a public bar?

Can you camp in the parking area next to it (assuming the hotel does not own the land: a bit close I know but who wants to stagger far in the dark?)
Douglas Griffin 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Never been in the hotel so can't answer re. the bar. I wouldn't expect to be able to camp next to the hotel.

There are other places to stay, however:
http://www.independenthostelguide.co.uk/selected-accommodation.php?area=181
 Dauphin 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Pretty sure it is a public car park.

D
OP Flinticus 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:
Looked at that already. Not open yet, same story with the campsites near Lochinver.
 Mike-W-99 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
It has a public bar.

I detect a theme developing - http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi...
In reply to Flinticus:

Aye, that's the problem at this time of year. Gets better after Easter.
OP Flinticus 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:
Yet you can by the Kings House Hotel, The Cluanie Inn and the Inveroran Hotel to name a few.

It means more business as I'm either camping close & using the bar or camping further away and bringing my own bottled ale from a big supermarket located in Glasgow.
 Cuthbert 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

I seem to remember that the public car park has signs saying no overnight parking.
 peter.herd 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus: There is a little forest by the car park for the bone caves which would be ideal. Lots of dry wood and quite dense. Good stream to have a wash in too.
drmarten 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
There is a public bar but last time I was in they shut early (10pm), there were residents present as well. Don't rely on turning up lateish and getting a pint. I slept in my car in the walkers car park.
 Jack Frost 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
> (In reply to Flinticus)
>
> I seem to remember that the public car park has signs saying no overnight parking.

Yes, looks like your memory serves you right - in this Google streetview there's one of those Yellow Signs "No Overnight Parking Permitted"

https://maps.google.com/?ll=58.14881,-4.97377&spn=0.003114,0.010568&...
 IanMcC 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Jack Frost:
The pub is grim. I believe Highland Council has had to remove some "No overnight parking" signs, as they have no basis in law. (Parking is permitted, camping is not.)There are several attractive parking places nearby which we have used in our campervan.
 cat22 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus: You can stay at the hostel: http://www.inch-lodge.co.uk/ if it's not full of geologists. It's a great place, and I think I'd rather take my own beers there than go to the hotel! Otherwise exercise your right to wild camp on unenclosed land... shouldn't have to go too far around there!
OP Flinticus 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Mike_Watson_99: Ha. Yes indeed. Libraries are rare in the sticks and shut even earlier.

My last wild camp had me bored during the long night of nearly 12 hours. Did my head in, counting down the hours.
In reply to Flinticus:

I regularly sleep in the car during winter. To get through the long dark evening, an audiobook on the iPod and a dram or two of whisky come in handy.
 Gadameer 05 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

There's some great camping spots a mile or so up the road next to the ruined castle on the loch. We ate in the Inchnadamph hotel and I'll second it being grim! The bar over the hill at kylesku was miles better. Nice beers there to take back to the tent :-D
 Milesy 05 Mar 2013
In reply to IanMcC:
> (In reply to Jack Frost)
> The pub is grim. I believe Highland Council has had to remove some "No overnight parking" signs, as they have no basis in law. (Parking is permitted, camping is not.)There are several attractive parking places nearby which we have used in our campervan.

There used to be some of those at the three sisters car parks in Glen Coe I am sure. I dont remember seeing them now.
 Kelcat 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus: we walked out of the bar a couple of years ago as was a bit grim & we clearly weren't welcome ( group of six walkers). I'd also vote for a stop over by the castle, fantastic place to wake up.
In reply to Flinticus: When the hostel was full a spring or two ago, they pointed me to a good grassy burn-side camping spot a few hundred metres up-river towards Gleann Dubh. Was lovely apart from the teeming ticks.
OP Flinticus 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
Weather forecast has me altering location to Torridon area. Would love to stay at the Loch Carron camp site but shut until April!!

They should allow you pitch on the sites anyway! Its near to cafe & a hotel.

Will prob end up at Taagan or Torridon free camp sites.
OP Flinticus 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
Back home! Weather & winds messed up plans, plus the near impossibility of locating dog friendly accommodation (that's open in March) that has room at the last moment (unless you're prepared to pay over the odds, e.g. £85). You can rule out bunkhouses & hostels!

Only got up Am Bathach between coffees at The Cluanie. Very nice walk but short. A'Chralaig seemed to shelter it from the wind as the summit ridge was fairly calm.

Torrion was shrouded in cloud, high winds & rain: no pleasure weather and my taste for masochism is fairly low.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...