UKC

Climbing shoes with heel support

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveH70 05 Mar 2013
I've got a pair of 5-10 shoes that I don't know the name of that have a sort of heel support built in. I find them very comfy and would like to find something similar as they don't make these any more. I know Mad Rock did some but again have just discontinued them! Does anyone know of anything like it that are around and available now? I'd add a photo but don't know how! lol
 Martin W 06 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveH70: Those are 5.10 Ascents and as you say they don't make them any more. I have two pairs at home which I save for long outdoor routes these days in order to avoid trashing them on stuff that I don't need the comfort for. Both have been resoled once by Cheshire Shoe Repairs with Stealth rubber, which has worked fine given that I keep them for comfort rather than precision.

I don't know of any other currently available rock shoes which have the heel pad of the Ascent, sorry.

From your photo I'd say that yours maybe just need a bit of a wash and, if they're wearing thin, a resole?
 ti_pin_man 06 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveH70: I'd send them to Llanberis resoles, he got some 5.10 stealth in just a couple of weeks ago.
 Rich L 06 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveH70:
There was a thread similar to this a couple of days ago.

I was convinced that these types of shoes had long been discontinued. However, someone pointed out that the new Scarpa Force X has a padded heel.
OP DaveH70 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Martin W:

Ya a wash wouldn't go amiss! lol As for resoling, did you get the full sole done or just the bit in front of the feel?
OP DaveH70 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Rich L:

Ya there doesn't seem to be anything like them around these days, don't know why they are great for long days! I'll check out the ones you mentioned, cheers.
 zigzag 08 Mar 2013
In repHily to DaveH70:

Hi Dave, why not have them re-soled mate, I still climb sometimes in my origanal E-Bs
no you'll not remember them probably, I've had them nearly 30 years and re-soled many times and the're really comfortable
OP DaveH70 23 Mar 2013
In reply to zigzag: I'm going to mate, I've spoken to the guy at Llanberis resole and going to get them sent off when I can, only thing is that will leave me shoeless so looking for another pair
 Martin W 23 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveH70: Sorry, missed your follow-up question. The answer is that Cheshire Shoe Repairs will do a 1/2 sole repair in Stealth rubber. That's what I got done to both my pairs and they were fine, plus the dotty/ribbed heel grip is retained. There's always a risk that a re-sole will change the feel of a rock shoe a bit - and that did happen with mine - but since the Ascents aren't a precision shoe anyway I don't think it makes much if any difference to how they are to actually climb in.

I got my second pair of Ascents re-soled at the same time as buying new shoes (Anasazis). It's so cheap compared to the cost of a new pair of shoes that it seemed silly not to. So I can still get the Ascents out for long, relatively easy multi-pitch routes, or if I'm messing about in a central belt quarry somewhere just getting some fresh air and exercise rather than trying to do more difficult stuff (not that I do very difficult stuff anyway).
 cha1n 23 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveH70:

The 5.10 V-Mile are similar but are also now discontinued. Although there may be some knocking about in limited sizes as they are a newer shoe, for example:

http://www.altimusonline.co.uk/shop-Five-Ten-10/Five-Ten-V-Mile-in-Grey-Red...

Try looking on google.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...