UKC

Climbing in the Polish Tatras - info on climbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 06 Mar 2013
Hi I have the good fortune to be heading to teh Polish tatras towards the end of june. I am after a topo/guide on lines on Mnich in particular and any recommendations. In particular bolted lines (I understand there are a few) as this will save hauling my rack around. We are there for a week so not looking to travel too far from base (Zakopane I think)

Thanks
OP kipper12 06 Mar 2013
In reply to kipper12:

PS, should have said grade around 6Aa6a+
 Chris Beck 06 Mar 2013
In reply to kipper12: The topo you want is by Andrzej Marcisz.
You can order it online or there is an excellent mountain bookshop just off the main street in Zakopane with excellent guides for all the Tatry.
If you want to mainly climb on the Mnich you are best to base yourself at Morskie oko , as is around 30mins drive from Zakopane + 1.5hrs walk to Morskie oko itself.
The are 2 huts at Morskie oko and a climbers campsite as well.
Have fun , its an awesome area.

http://wspinanie.pl/serwis/200712/12topo_mnich.php

http://www.schroniskomorskieoko.pl/index.html
 Chris Beck 06 Mar 2013
In reply to kipper12: Forgot to mention that it is worth bringing a full rack , as you will struggle to find enough sport climbing on the Mnich for a weeks trip..
Kopa spadowa has some very good trad/sport routes on it , and easy approach from Morskie oko.
Rysy and Mieguszowieckie Szczyty peaks are great peaks to climb from Morskie oko.
If you do end up based in Zakopane...head up to climb on Granaty ,Koscielec and Zamarla turnia..loads to do up in Gasiencowej valley.
For a days sport climbing in Zakopane head to Dolina ku Dziurze , good sport limestone climbing...just dont let the rangers catch you
 whistler 06 Mar 2013
In reply to kipper12:
What Christian said. I got the topo and it comes in many different formats, including a poster size picture of the main face. Will have you salivating for weeks!

One thing I would say is that end of June is the start of holidays in Poland and the mountains normally get VERY busy around that time.

It's a great place, enjoy!
Polish Pete
OP kipper12 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Chris Beck: thanks
OP kipper12 07 Mar 2013
In reply to whistler: thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...