UKC

Gaston Rebuffat's "Ecrins-100 Best Climbs"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gavin Bell 11 Aug 2003
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has got a copy of Gaston Rebuffat's "Ecrins-100 Best Climbs". I'm based in central London near Covent Garden.
If you would be willing to lend or sell it to me, I'd appreciate it. I can order it from amazon.fr, but I'd rather see one this week.
many thanks
Gavin
 lewis 12 Aug 2003
In reply to Gavin Bell: If you can transport yourself to newcastle then you are welcome to have a look at my copy. If there is something specific you want to read then I would be willing to scan then email you the pages (more than a few pages is taking the pish mind...)
Gavin Bell 12 Aug 2003
In reply to lewis:
thanks for replying, I'm heading to La Berarde in the Veneon, in early september and was wondering what there was in terms of single pitch trad or sport. I can lead up to VS maybe HVS, tech british 5a -> b.
let me know what there is before you go scanning anything, if there is lots then I might buy it from amazon.
many thanks
gavin
jason s 12 Aug 2003
In reply to Gavin Bell: Get the topo from the shop in la Berarde, the Rebuffet is out of date. Bolted routes up to 15 pitches at your grade 20 minutes walk from the campsite!
Gavin Bell 13 Aug 2003
In reply to jason s:
thanks for the tip, sounds like the climbing might be fun
cheers
Gavin
 vscott 13 Aug 2003
In reply to jason s: Yep, you want to get yourself a copy of Oisans Sauvage Ouest, in french but a topo guide so easy to follow, sheds loads to do at your grade, enjoy.
 lewis 13 Aug 2003
In reply to Gavin Bell: The 'tourist route' on the crag that is opposite camping la berade is pretty good if not that hard. We moved together on the whole lot and did it in about 1/4 guidebook time. If you find an ATC, blue and black troll chalk bag and a number 8 wallnut they are mine! La Berade is pretty but only has a tiny epicerie and a few bars so stock up on shopping in la bourg d'oisans before heading up the valley. This is also the closest stop for petrol as we found out to our expense...

Will have a look in the book tonight.
OP Anonymous 13 Aug 2003
In reply to vscott: This covers the big crags but not the small local ones at la Berarde- definitely more acurate than the AC one though which manages to misname the Madier route on the Dibona!
OP A. L. Pinist 13 Aug 2003
In reply to Gavin Bell:

Gavin,

good choice, old rubberfoot is absolutely inspirational, the best large format, coffee table style book there is on Alpinism. All these low attention span "boulderer" softies should read this and haul their arse up an alp, its damn hard work, particularly when you are out of the hut at 3 a.m. and in a kind of dream, but come the dawn, standing on the roof of the world, hey! its worth it.

best wishes,
A rubberfoot fan
 Doug 20 Aug 2003
In reply to Gavin Bell:
The french edition has been republished recently - try searching on fnac.com or other on line french bookshops. Its about €30 & has an extra chapter giving some extra info (grade changes, etc)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...