UKC

Margerine Vs. Butter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Voltemands 07 Mar 2013
I keep seeing this pop up all over the interwebs (sorry cannot link it) -

"Pass The Butter ... Please.

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.
Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to butter them up')!

Chinese Proverb:
When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Pass the BUTTER PLEASE" - THANKS NATHAN NEELY

BUT then, this came to my attention -
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

Which I feel doesn't really make any strong conclusions but casts doubt on the whole thing.

Now, I don't know where I stand on this and have not carried out extensive research but was wondering what peoples thoughts are on the matter?

I certainly don't want to be using a prodcut that could be as bad as the first piece suggests.
OP Voltemands 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands: Apologies for the awfully long post.
 EeeByGum 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands: No idea whether any of that is true or not, but apparently lard is way better for you than butter!
 Reach>Talent 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands:
Wow there is a lot of unadulterated rubbish in there. Margerine is a French invention from the Napoleonic era, because transporting butter is a pain in the bum!

Ramblin dave 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to Voltemands)
> Wow there is a lot of unadulterated rubbish in there.

Agreed. God help us when this person finds out that salt is "only one molecule away" from hydrochloric acid...
 Reach>Talent 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands:
Margerine is one molecule away from being plastic, but so is water. Just add a shedload of polyethylene and you've got plastic; or more specifically slippery plastic and wet plastic respectively.
 woolsack 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands: Is this one of those 'repost this on your Facebook status or your wife will be turned into a pillar of salt' things?
 John Ww 07 Mar 2013
In reply to woolsack:

Or in this case, a butter substitute / tin of paint / airtight food container.

balmybaldwin 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands:

Recently published research supports the idea that for a given amount of consumption marg is worse for you than butter.

The only real health benefit from marg is that it tastes horrible so you eat a lot less of it.
ice.solo 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:

and that the chlorophyll in plants only one (iron instead of magnesium) from blood.
 Monk 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands:

There is a lot of crap in that rant. The whole 'nearly plastic' thing is probably the most disingenuous. Lettuce is basically sellotape (by the same argument).

There are pros and cons to all food. It is not simple to work out what is which, but without references to back up the wild claims above, I'd consider that it is simply ill-informed scare-mongering.

To be honest, butter tastes much nicer than margarine, and that is what swings it for me.
 Enty 07 Mar 2013
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to Voltemands) Is this one of those 'repost this on your Facebook status or your wife will be turned into a pillar of salt' things?

It is. Instant un-friending soon follows.

E
 Blue Straggler 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Monk:
>
> There is a lot of crap in that rant. The whole 'nearly plastic' thing is probably the most disingenuous. Lettuce is basically sellotape (by the same argument).
>
There used to be one doing the rounds that said that margarine was a by-product of making tights (or waste from "tights gone wrong")

As for "Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC", well of course a diamond is NO MOLECULES away from being SOOT
 Hephaestus 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> Wow there is a lot of unadulterated rubbish in there.

But also the key fact: Butter tastes much better than margarine
 GrahamD 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Hephaestus:

>THE key fact
In reply to woolsack: Along those lines, but not quite of the "or your mother will die today!" sort. Plus, it was posted in much the same way as i have - asking if there were any more informed individuals who could cast some light on it.
In reply to Hephaestus: Agreed. But a PITA to spread!
In reply to balmybaldwin:
>
> Recently published research supports the idea that for a given amount of consumption marg is worse for you than butter.

Any idea off the top of your head what the name of the research and/or author was? I'm sad enough to want to take a look. No worries if not.

Rigid Raider 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I hate and distrust margarine and spreadable "butter". For me there is nothing tastier than butter, especially when spread on cold toast with a dollop of thick-cut marmalade. Bliss.
In reply to Rigid Raider:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> I hate and distrust margarine and spreadable "butter". For me there is nothing tastier than butter, especially when spread on cold toast with a dollop of thick-cut marmalade. Bliss.

Mods, ban this ignoramus. Where butter and toast is concerned, the toast must be hot.

Blue Straggler 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands:
> (In reply to balmybaldwin)
> [...]
>
> Any idea off the top of your head what the name of the research and/or author was? I'm sad enough to want to take a look. No worries if not.

That sort of thing usually gets reported as "Australian scientists have found...", for some reason.
 Hephaestus 07 Mar 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
> (In reply to Rigid Raider)
> [...]
>
> Mods, ban this ignoramus. Where butter and toast is concerned, the toast must be hot.

Perhaps this also explains Voltemands' inability to spread butter?

Although really there's nothing to replace technique in this area, whether your bread is hot or not.
In reply to Hephaestus:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
> [...]
>
> Perhaps this also explains Voltemands' inability to spread butter?
>
> Although really there's nothing to replace technique in this area, whether your bread is hot or not.

No technique required. Just leave the butter out in a butter dish and not in the fridge.

Even in the summer, with 5 in the house, butter doesnt have enough time to go off.

beardy mike 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Hephaestus:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)

> Although really there's nothing to replace technique in this area, whether your bread is hot or not.

Or not leaving your butter in the fridge all the time...
 Philip 07 Mar 2013
Some of that may be true, but the key thing is Margarine as described above hasn't been manufactured for years.

There are no brands in the UK that have hydrogenated fats.

The bigger issue with "spreads" are the use of palm oil. The production of palm oil is leading to great impacts on the environment. As far as I can find only the organic spreadable butters don't use palm oil, Yeo Valley use rapeseed, Lurpak organic uses sunflower oil (I think). None of the non-organic brands are palm oil free.
 Jimbo C 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands:

Water is only one atom away from being peroxide.

Modern 'margarine' does not contain hydrogenated fats and trans fatty acids like it used to (at least in the UK). I know becasue I'm an avid label reader. It's basically an emulsion of vegetable oils and water with added flavouring, colouring and vitmains.

However, when it comes to making pastry, it's lard all the way.
 balmybaldwin 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands:
> (In reply to balmybaldwin)
> [...]
>
> Any idea off the top of your head what the name of the research and/or author was? I'm sad enough to want to take a look. No worries if not.

Err... no, but it featured in a BBC story a few weeks back (definitly this year) which I can't find via their search which is a shame as they normally provide some form of link to the organisation behind this kind of news item.

Here is the Independent's story on the same item:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/margarines-not-bad--but-butters...

Says the orignial research was published in the BMJ
A Fish Shop 07 Mar 2013
> (In reply to mkean)
> [...]
>
> Agreed. God help us when this person finds out that salt is "only one molecule away" from hydrochloric acid...

That's why you body uses it to create hydrochloric acid, to digest that lovely butter.
Removed User 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands:

Pointless rant...Margarine vs Butter...what for?

Stopping a door squeaking?
Smearing all over yourself prior to a cross channel swim?
A spot of 'Last Tango in Paris' re-enactment?

Obviously it's not food related, because margarine isn't.
 Neil Williams 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands:

Butter is just nicer, and seems for some reason (counterintuitive) to keep for longer.

Neil
 minimike 07 Mar 2013

Its worse than that... Its only one ATOM away!
jonintights 07 Mar 2013
Marg every time butter is horrid
 Bulls Crack 07 Mar 2013
In reply to jonintights:
> Marg every time butter is horrid

Burn him...or rather: clarify him!
 sleavesley 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands: it has to be salted butter, non salted is for cakes and small children only!
In reply to Voltemands:
I imagine that people are employed by both butter and margarine manufacturers to "sow the seeds of doubt" about the other product. I have no proof of this but it just strikes me as an obvious tactic. I've seen the detail of the OP before quite a few times.
 Monk 07 Mar 2013
In reply to sleavesley:
> (In reply to Voltemands) it has to be salted butter, non salted is for cakes and small children only!

No! I love no/lightly salted butter. Much nicer than salted.
 Neil Williams 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Monk:

Sorry, it has to be salted. Probably why it keeps so well.

Neil
 Pompey 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands:
Had this discussion with my mum yesterday as she's on a health kick and has chucked out anything remotely tasty from the house and bought in a load of that ultra low-fat marg. I don't know what's in it but it's absolutely vile and makes toast go soggy. Butter please, slightly salted. (at the risk of introducing three areas of separate debate in themselves, if we're talking toast, can I indulge myself and have thick-cut white bread and some strong shredless orange marmalade, and a cup of Yorkshire tea to go with it please? )
 Alyson 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Pompey: I'm with you on butter, but shredless marmalade is an abomination.
 Pompey 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Alyson:
I know, I know!! I wish I could eat the normal stuff as it tends to be much tastier, its just the texture of those stringy bits of peel - cant bear it! My sister told me they were worms as well when I was little so maybe there's a bit of psychological scarring as well..!
 Billg 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Voltemands: True margarine, that the article is talking about has been banned, and has been for a while now. It is low fat spread which is on the market now, which does not contain trans fats etc. However, surely the less processed the better, so butter it is. It is a natural product, and if people are worried about the health risks, they could just eat less of it.
 Neil Williams 10 Mar 2013
In reply to Billg:

A quick Google suggested it is not banned.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...