UKC

Getting hold of topsoil - dumfries and galloway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 08 Mar 2013
I built a series of terraces last year and I'm about a foot short of soil in one of them. Just looking for some advice on where to get some to top it up, it's about 6'X4'. I guess the ideal solution would have been to get some manure back end of last year and leave that but I missed that boat for various reasons.

Whenever I've looked at buying meter bags of compost it's seemed hugely expensive, anyone have any ideas where I could get hold of something cheaper.

Ben
 EeeByGum 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Sharp: Get your manure in anyway. You won't be able to plant much this year if it is the raw stuff, but it is cheap and you will be able to grown anything next year! We had about three tonnes delivered for £40 and I was told by my allotment neighbours that I had been ripped off!
In reply to Sharp:
Speak to builders, gardening business (preferably the designer type ones removing established gardens and replacing with minimalist garden designs) or farmers and you should find a source of topsoil or other suitable material. Usually lots of free (or cheap) topsoil to be had given the landfill costs so there for the effort of taking. Unfortunately it is often fly tipped alot. Remember that it does not have to be best quality topsoil if you want to take time and effort to make it better.
Other options for quick(ish) fix include manure (cattle/sheep/chicken/etc as long as not wood chip or sawdust based), old straw/hay (often dumped by farmers/horse stables/etc, but needs work/additives though to break down quickly), spent mushroom compost, lawn sods (lots did up lawns as too much effort to maintain and makes great soil after a couple of years), Local Council's composted material (some give away for free the recycled garden material that was collected others charge), coarse sand (if you have clay or heavy soil anyway and helps to improve it), peat bales (if you do not mind the environmental aspects and using lime and other stuff to balance it), coarse rubble/gravel (take out the soil and use as a sub soil esp if drainage problems), even sub soil (put underneath of course!) or take time over a few years and use your own/your neighbour's composting material to make it up to the level required.

JH74 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Sharp: Plonk an ad in your local rag and see what happens. Top soil can be dear but as mentioned some people will want rid of it quick depending on what they're doing and maybe even drop it off. I presume you don't have a van...
 cuppatea 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Sharp:

Is there a freecycle/freegle group in your area?
I've seen loads of topsoil on offer (as well as hardcore etc. )
 Dax H 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Sharp: Try your local water authority. Some sell a mix of compost and top soil and others give it away.
 coinneach 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Dax H:

Plenty to spare here.............................

You didn't hear it from me though!

http://www.drumlanrig.com/default.asp?Pageid=38
 Graeme Barr 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Sharp: Think there is some down in Kippford you can have. Can sort it when i get back from holiday?
OP Sharp 09 Mar 2013
In reply to machars: Cheers man that would be great, have a good trip...although don't look at the conditions reports for Scotland, it's rubbish honestly!

Cheers for everyones replies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...