UKC

Rock Climbing, Granada, Spain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chrismcd23 08 Mar 2013
Hi,

I am putting some plans together to organise a climbing trip to Spain. We will be staying in the Nerja area. I have been out to this area a few times so I know the surrounding area fairly well, but not managed to get any climbing done!!

I gather that there is a fair bit of climbing near Motril on the road to Granada.

If anyone has been out here climbing I would be very grateful if you could share your knowledge, hints & tips.

Cheers

Chris
 nealh 08 Mar 2013
In reply to chrismcd23: check out the Los charahos gorge on the way to the Sierra Nevada ski resort had a great time climbing there when we ski,d there
 Mark Kemball 08 Mar 2013
In reply to chrismcd23: Any more info welcome - we're on a family holiday in the area in August, is there anything fit to climb or would we fry? Any guidebooks? Thanks.
 shaky2 08 Mar 2013
In reply to chrismcd23: try Los vados just outside motril,you can get a guide to granada climbing from the climbing shop in granada called Escalar en Granada, it covers Los cahorros,penalty cabrera, lost vados,loja,cueva details poloria
 shaky2 08 Mar 2013
In reply to chrismcd23: sorry should read Los cahorros, pena cabrera,los vados,loja,cueva de poloria
 Foolow Mike 08 Mar 2013
In reply to chrismcd23:
A lot depends when you are going and whether you can tolerate the sun (July August).

The climbing near Motril (Los Vados) is good and you can climb out of the sun in places until late morning at Sector Canal. Most other cliffs are in the sun in the morning. To enjoy Motril you need to be climbing 6a+ to get much done. There are also some multi pitch routes.

Los Cahoros near Monachil is a gorge with a variety of grades and aspects, worth the extra drive if you have time.

If you want some easier climbs or somewhere different, there is plenty of stuff to be done near Orgiva. Also in a gorge so you can get shade. A few crags are listed on our website:
http://sierranevadaguides.co.uk/rock-climbing-granada/

Get in touch if you have specific questions.

mike
Removed User 08 Mar 2013
In reply to chrismcd23:

Get in touch with Spanish Highs.
 Alfrede 09 Mar 2013
In reply to chrismcd23: There is a comprehensive Spanish rock climbing guide to Andalusia published by Desnivel and written by David Munilla. Has masses of routes in your area, though the best area at Los Vados is mainly hard routes. Beware Cahorros which is good but has the most absurd grading I have ever come across. Expect 5+ to feel about 6b. The guide is widely available and if you cant actually get it in Britain or Nerja you will certainly find it in Malaga. Enjoy your trip. Alf
 Mark Bull 11 Mar 2013
In reply to alfredito:

> There is a comprehensive Spanish rock climbing guide to Andalusia published by Desnivel and written by David Munilla.

Good luck if you use this: it's a frustratingly poorly produced guidebook, with minimal descriptions, and maps and topos which are lacking in sufficient detail.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...