UKC

Backpacking rucksack for a 9 year old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 08 Mar 2013
Has anyone seen a decent rucksack for over night backpacking and scout camps for a 9 year old besides the Osprey Jib? There are plenty of day packs for kids but I can't find models for that sort of age and usage from the usual suspects, like Vango, Karrimor, Berghaus etc. The Osprey one looks nice but it is quite pricey, while it seems the other firms don't think kids will be carrying much gear until they are in their teenage years and doing DofE and such.

Has anybody else had any luck finding a good pack for a kid in this age range?

Cheers all.
 Monk 08 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA:

When I was a kid, I just used a simple 40/45 litre adult rucksack with the straps pretty tight. Obviously, these didn't have funky back systems, but were very simple. I was slightly older than your child (10/11) but I was tiny for my age, and I don't remember experiencing any problems with that approach. I had a cheap Vango rucksack, but my sister used a Karrimor Hot Rock/Earth from about the age of 9.
MattDTC 08 Mar 2013
 FrankBooth 08 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA:
The Decathlon ones fit kids quite well, iirc.
 Carolyn 08 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA:

There's a fabulous Deuter one, will dig it out and find name in a mo.
 Carolyn 08 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA:

This one - Fox 30
http://www.littleadventureshop.co.uk/Kids-Adventure-Products/Deuter-Fox-30-...

No idea how it compares to the Osprey one. Just about went small enough for my older one last summer at coming up 7.

Do Allkit do anything? Just thought of them because that's where his down sleeping bag came from.
trooperwolfie 08 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA: deuter do kids packs and osprey do a 35/45 liter pack as well. george fisher in keswick sell them as well as kids outdoor clothing and walking boots, check them out on the web.
 Guy Hurst 08 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA: My nine-year-old son has the Deuter Fox 30 and really loves it for day walks (when it has loads of space) and overnight trips when he also carries his sleeping bag and a bit of the joint food. He's quite a tall lad but the adustable back still has a couple of notches to go, so it should last him a good few years yet. Also has loads of pockets, which I would lose stuff in but he thinks are great. Not cheap, but he no longer grumbles about straps digging into his shoulders etc., so worth the cash.
 deepdiver 08 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA:

My son loves Petzl Bug. Perfect lenght for his back. Nothing outside to mess with. Easy adjustment for shoulders. Nice pocket for map/topo with easy access. Good value.
...and you will love it for your daily climbs
You can attach one 60m rope underneath and another one on the top. All gear fits in.
Recomended!

Carolyn 08 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Also, meant to say the Fox 30 seems a fairly generous 30l compared to our adult 30l sacs, so may not that different in volume to the Osprey 35 (which I've never seen, so the reality is I don't really have a clue.....!)

This summer A certainly carried his own clothes (thermals to sleep in, fleece, waterproof), sleeping bag, roll mat, water and snacks. There was loads of spare space, but I didn't want to put him off with too much weight first time.
 AndyP 08 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA:
Phone Aiguille - they'll make what you want, and in the UK as well.
OP TobyA 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

> Also, meant to say the Fox 30 seems a fairly generous 30l compared to our adult 30l sacs, so may not that different in volume to the Osprey 35 (which I've never seen, so the reality is I don't really have a clue.....!)

I did wonder about that so that's interesting. 30 doesn't sound much to me thinking of overnight kit, although these days with better kit I guess I can do it rather easily... Anyway his scouts seem keen on them having huge backpacks - they don't seem to need to carry them that far. But I want something he can use to actually hike a few hours carrying with me to a camping spot, with the same amount and sort of stuff you're saying. He has a nice Tatonka pack currently, probably 20 ltrs or a little less. Two years ago it looked like a backpacking rucksack on him, now it looks like a day pack! But applying my Jardine-esque lightweight approach to his first scout camp, we managed to get everything into that bag, or strapped on, but I think it won't fit more than one night's worth of stuff in, hence the search for a new one!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The Millets link is great as well as that seems a good price compared to Euro shops I've found selling that model.
OP TobyA 08 Mar 2013
In reply to AndyP:

> Phone Aiguille - they'll make what you want, and in the UK as well.

I suspect that might be a bit above my price range. I did suggest to my son that I made him one though, I recently won a copy of Jardine's "lightweight backpacking" and he is trying to inspire everyone to sew their own packs. I think my son was a bit sceptical of this, although he hasn't seen my ninja skillz on my mum's sewing machine!
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to AndyP)
>
> [...]
>
> I suspect that might be a bit above my price range.

What's your price range? I imagine Aiguille could sort you something out for a reasonable price. You'll have to ring and talk to Adrian though, he doesn't do email very well. Adrian's got three kids and has done a lot of backpacking and stuff with them from a young age so will have plenty of ideas.

I'd have thought a Stratos or Cirrus bag in a short back length would be perfect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...