UKC

Gower topos and which crags are tidal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dsh 08 Mar 2013
Does anyone know where I can get some topos for the Gower?

And which crags are tidal?

Also where in the area can I buy the guidebook?
 will 08 Mar 2013
In reply to dsh:

Hi, There are 2 different guide books in which you can currently get for the Gower.

The Climbers club guide is the older of the two, yet is very descriptive on routes. the new guide book, i haven't personally used, but looking at previews of it, looks really good and that is available on amazon:

Gower Rock: Selected Rock Climbs

In regards to tidal, there is alot of venues that are tidal, such as three cliffs and king wall on fall bay. yet there is still Fall bay itself which is non tidal, and has some great single/ multi pitch classic routes that are worth a visit and there are numerous other areas that offer some fantastic climbing (Paviland)

If your looking for a particular grade, i can suggest a few routes that might be worth looking at.

Hope this helps
Will

OP dsh 08 Mar 2013
In reply to will:

Cheers looking for VS and below, can't get the book online as we're looking to go this weekend, hence some topos or at least a descriptions of some crags and routes would be great.
 Helnorris 08 Mar 2013
In reply to dsh: http://www.wikitopo.com/region.php?regionId=37

this may be of a little bit of use.

OP dsh 08 Mar 2013
In reply to Helnorris:

Thanks but th.ere doesn't appear to be any topos just the crag listing? And when I try to register it takes me to the domain listing
 Chewable 08 Mar 2013
In reply to dsh: The South Wales Mountaineering Club maintains a current Wiki page that has a lot of information about the climbing on and around Gower. The link is here

http://www.southwalesmountaineering.org.uk/g_book/index.php/South_Wales_Mou...

Some pages have topos, others just descriptions - all have tidal information.

I'd say Gower Rock is the better book of the two for a brief visit as it's a 'best of' type book, complete with great topos. You'll be able to find it at the local climbing wall, among other places.
 Helnorris 09 Mar 2013
In reply to dsh: ah dam sorry the other one above that was the one I was meant to post up. Had them both open must of copied the wrong one..my bad.

In reply to dsh:

The sport climbing is covered in this mobile MiniGuide - http://www.rockfax.com/climbing-guides/miniguides/gower-sport-climbing/

Alan
 will 09 Mar 2013
In reply to dsh:

Im pretty sure if you pop into dynamic Rock (The indoor climbing wall in Swansea) they might be able to help you out.. Where about are you based?? If your in the devon/Cornwall area, i have the Gower Climbers club guide book that i can lend you, If thats any help??

Will
 will 09 Mar 2013
In reply to dsh:

Also, if your looking for that grade. If you check tides, Three cliffs is a great venue for that sort of Grade, as there is climb after climb below the HVS grade, And you can get away without a guide book, as lines are relitively obvious. You got some classic lines there aswell, that are worth checking out (Scavenger and arch slab) These lines are well travelled though and are a wee bit polished..

Cheers
Will
 partz 09 Mar 2013
In reply to will:
> (In reply to dsh)
>
> Also, if your looking for that grade. If you check tides, Three cliffs is a great venue for that sort of Grade,
>
> Cheers
> Will

This.
Actually have the gower book on my lap as Im heading to watch house crag shortly. For VS and below, we (SUMC) take people to Three Cliffs/pobbles (same place but many many routes of that grade), Three tors (slightly fewer routes, but still easy grades, tidal), Devils truck/lewes castle (non-tidal, not so many routes, nicer scenery) or boiler slab (non-tidal, typical top roping crag only about 5-6 routes VS and below but longer routes).
There are many many more little crags but these 3 are the main ones as they're well known, easy to get to, and have a good number of routes overall there.
 BenTiffin 09 Mar 2013
In reply to dsh: As people have mentioned, the selective guide is available at Dynamic Rock which is 5 mins form junction 45 on the M4.

Tidal crags in your grade range are

Three Cliffs (reachable approx 2.5 hrs either side of low tide)
Little tor (3 hrs)
King Wall (2hrs ish)

Non-tidal crags

Boiler Slab
Lewes Castle at Fall Bay
Jacky's Tor Upper

Lots to got at whether tidal or non.

Enjoy.
OP dsh 10 Mar 2013
In reply to dsh:

Thanks guys, ended up indoors this weekend but will go down in a couple of weeks for a few days, any campsite recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...