UKC

Website design

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris687 09 Mar 2013
So I am trying to create a website for a company but I don't really know where to start. I have looked at the build your own sites that are offered and not really found what I am looking for. I have a domain name that I would like and a casual search tells me that it is available. Do I need to pay someone for this domain name? who owns it now?
Is there anyone on here with experience of setting up websites that could help?
 Brass Nipples 09 Mar 2013
In reply to chris687:

Look on nominet to see if the domain is available, assuming uk domain name

You then purchase the domain name, via a registrar, for a period of years from 2 years to 10 years. For 2 years cost is about £7. You then need to buy hosting to store your website pages for your website. Hosting will be around £100 for 2 years. If you buy hosting that supports Php, then you can install Wordpress, joomla, dupral etc. (in increasing order of complexity) to help build and manage your website. If you go for a Linux web hosting package, you'll get Php and MySQL (database) included usually. Linux hosting also often offers one click installs for the above packages.

Have fun.
 john arran 09 Mar 2013
In reply to chris687:

When I typed "How do I set up a website?" into google this is the first thing returned: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jul/22/self-employment-set-up-website

Seems on first glance to be very much what you're looking for.
 Milesy 09 Mar 2013
In reply to chris687:
> So I am trying to create a website for a company but I don't really know where to start. I have looked at the build your own sites that are offered and not really found what I am looking for.

Get a professional to do it and get it done right. You wouldn't build your own extension would you?
 Dominion 09 Mar 2013
In reply to chris687:

If a whois lookup on a domain name says it's available, then there are lots of Registrars that you can use to register the name.

I have 4 domains on 123-reg - a few quid each per year, but about £70 per year for a hosting package.

And all 4 sites are "hosted" on that on hosting package.

You may want lots more email addresses for your domain than a basic hosting package costs.

There will also be monthly bandwidth limits, at that price.

Also, it depends on what this company want to do with their website.

If it's just a flat, informational site, with a few pages, then the above is probably fine.

The key is to find your customer's requirement.

Do they want a Contact Management System (CMS) or a Customer Relationship Management System (CRM) ?

If so, those can be quite costly, require a different sort of hosting, and programmers to write code and set up databases.

OP chris687 09 Mar 2013
In reply to Dominion:

Thanks everyone for the advice so far, I will have to work my way through some of the technical points but I think I have the gist of it. I intend to get someone competent to do it rather than have a go myself. I want a site similar to UKC in so far as it will have a bit of media in the form of short films etc. and that it will have forums. I also need it to be able to host advertisements throughout the site. I'm guessing this will cost me?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...