UKC

Anyone climb with Simond 70m/9.8mm ropes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sarpedon 11 Mar 2013
I found one at a good price, and am wondering if I should spend the money for it. It'd be for sport climbing, I fall a lot and weigh about 83 kilos. Would I wear it out too quickly?
 jon 11 Mar 2013
In reply to I_hang_dog:

I've got a 9mm one - though it seems that it's no longer available: http://www.decathlon.fr/corde-9mm-x-80m-id_8174984.html
(Decathlon/Simond) is the same thing. I believe their ropes are made by Cousin. It's really hard wearing - not a supple rope, but I quite like that. I've used this one really hard for just over a year and it looks pretty good - no worrying wear at all. I'd imagine that the 9.8 is much the same but a bit heavier.
 Fraser 11 Mar 2013
In reply to jon:

180 euros for a 9mm 80m rope - sounds almost too good!
 jon 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Fraser:

Actually no, it was discounted at €135, but that was a couple of years ago. Right now American Mike in Sisteron is selling 80m Beal Jokers for €135 and 70m Beal Stingers for €100.
 xplorer 11 Mar 2013
In reply to I_hang_dog:

I've got two, two years of abuse summer and winter and showing only light wear
 Enty 11 Mar 2013
In reply to I_hang_dog:

I got one from Decathlon - like Jon says, it's hard wearing and not supple at all. In fact I find it a bit stiff to be honest.
But then again we also have these really nice 9.2 Beals which are lovely in comparison but I tend to knacker one out in a full season!

E
 Fraser 11 Mar 2013
In reply to jon:

Wow,those are pretty good deals. A few places here have been selling off their end-of-line Jokers now the Beal Unicores are available (have just gone halfers on a 70m) but at that price, I could have been tempted by an 80m Joker, even for use as a wall rope!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...