UKC

Camping Lanterns

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam_in_Leeds 11 Mar 2013
Hello

Thinking about doing quite a bit more camping this summer than ever before and made me think I'd like to splash out on a lantern.

I'll be camping solo for quite a bit of the time so suspect I'll be in my tent for quite a long time.

So, it it better to go for a gas-lantern or an LED lantern?

I was looking at this one in Go-Outdoors but have no idea how long the gas would last? On a low enough to read light, how long would a 500 canister last?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/campingaz-f1-lite-camping-lantern-p118300

I'm looking for something mainly for reading/pottering about in a tent.

I've got a Petzl Mio XP headtorch I can use for things like cooking but find the LED light quite harsh in front of my fave for extended reading sessions.

My camping stove is a gas one too, could I use the same cartridge for lighting/eating or would I get through too much gas?

I'm definitely not going for a petrol one - I worry enough about filling my car up.
skarabrae 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds: i may be wrong here, but would a gas lantern not give off carbon monoxide?
 The Lemming 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds:

My money would go on a wind up LED lantern. I've used a couple over the years and think that they are great. Simply wind up and go. No need to buy extra batteries.

I even used one for several years as a bedside light. It was good enough to light up the whole room.
 wilkie14c 11 Mar 2013
A mini maglight for solo camping, you can remove the head unit and turn it into a 'candle' for reading. Tealights are cheap for reading too but you need a glass or something to put them in to stop them being knocked over. Coleman do a mini gas lantern too, the F1 IIRC
 wilkie14c 11 Mar 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
RE- windups, I got a radio/light/mobile charger all in one gizmo off ebay, battery powered or wind-up, its great!
 wilkie14c 11 Mar 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
maglight - candle mode, 3 minutes in
youtube.com/watch?v=pa1VulgAaB4&
 browndog33 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds: Don't know if this is your kind of thing but check out the Uco candle lanterns, I've just bought one for exactly the scenario you mention.
 wilkie14c 11 Mar 2013
In reply to browndog33: also check out 'UFO' lights from Wilkinsons, circular array of LED's and the back has a magnet to stick to tent fabric (a spoon or something steel on the outside) and a folding hook to hang from above. They take 3 AAAs and only cost 8 quid for 2
 SFM 11 Mar 2013

If you decide to opt for a gas lantern then drop me a pm as I have one that
I might sell.
 wilkesley 12 Mar 2013
I use a Silverpoint Mini Lantern: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverpoint-Mini-Lantern--/dp/B006C0WIS4/ref=sr_1_2...