UKC

ghosts in the hills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 11 Mar 2013
Not seen any myself and most of the time when alone in the hills you are just that, alone. But sometimes you also get a strange feeling thete is someone else there. Read in cumbrian rock of a bloke walking alone in the hills who stopped and chatted with another walker, on returning to the valley got talking to a barman in the pub who asked him where he had been he told him about his day saying he had stopped to talk to another walker he then pointed out the chap he had met in a photo of some walkers behind the bar. The barman told him the man he had pointed out loved the lake fells and the place he seen him was his favorit fell but it could not have been him as he had been killed in the second world war.have you got a story of similar things happening to you or felt you were not alone on the fells or on a wild camp or in a bothy.
Caterham 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett:
Not had any creepy experiences myself thankfully but recently heard a strange little story.

I do a bit of a fishing and one evening a bloke (person a) is packing up and gets chatting to an old bloke (person b) who is fishing the night.
Anyway person a recommends a certain spot to person b who thanks him and sets off to said spot. Person a then departs home. The lake in question is quite remote, anyway some time during the night person b somehow falls into the lake and drowns. Body found next day investigation concludes genuine accident etc. A few months later person a returns to fish in same spot for a night as person b had drowned, he is unaware of the accident.

Throughout the night person a reports hearing strange sounds and at one stage what sounds like a giant splash accompanied by struggling sounds. He has a wander round to investigate but can find nothing. Of course he is a bit creeped out but even more so when somebody the next day tells him of how the person he recommended this spot too months previously had drowned there!

I heard it second hand so may just be made up but I found it a bit unnerving all the same.
 GrahamD 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Caterham:

Grown men sitting out all night by a pond with a fishing rod - damn right its unnerving.
 simondgee 12 Mar 2013
The story i think you are referring to is the encounter of with the spirit of the pre-eminent edwardian climber Siegfried Hereford after he was killed in WW1 and the pub is the Wasdale head. I have read the original letters that were written to his sister describing the encounter (all very rational and polite). Herfords ghost has been reported by others over the years and certainly there is a presence on scafell.
 ThunderCat 12 Mar 2013
In reply to simondgee:
> (In reply to Russell Lovett)
> The story i think you are referring to is the encounter of with the spirit of the pre-eminent edwardian climber Siegfried Hereford after he was killed in WW1 and the pub is the Wasdale head. I have read the original letters that were written to his sister describing the encounter (all very rational and polite). Herfords ghost has been reported by others over the years and certainly there is a presence on scafell.

Just a sanity check here - we're actually agreeing that there are ghosts?
 Wesley Orvis 12 Mar 2013

I don't know if it was a ghost but i certainly had a strange experience once a few years ago on the Aonoch Eagoch Ridge while on my own without anyone else on the hill.
 ThunderCat 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Wesley Orvis:
>
> I don't know if it was a ghost but i certainly had a strange experience once a few years ago on the Aonoch Eagoch Ridge while on my own without anyone else on the hill.

Promise you it wasn't a ghost.

mypyrex 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: I'm rather hoping that we'll hear from Num Num on this matter.
 handjammer 12 Mar 2013
In reply to ThunderCat: Prove to me that it wasn't.
 Shani 12 Mar 2013
In reply to handjammer:
> (In reply to ThunderCat) Prove to me that it wasn't.

If ghosts exist how come you never see a black ghost (with thanks to K.Pilkington)?
Pinged 12 Mar 2013

Adults believing in ghosts is simply tragic. If I was to come on here describing a time I'd bumped into a unicorn on Bowfell I'd be laughed at.

ThunderCat 12 Mar 2013
In reply to handjammer:
> (In reply to ThunderCat) Prove to me that it wasn't.

Any belief in rationality, critical thinking, and a bit of understanding about human psychology and common sense should suggest that it's just the brain playing tricks on the beholder

Unfortunately, the real explanations tend to be a bit dry and antiseptic and don't really grab the imagination

And to be fair, pretty hard to prove that something doesn't exist.

Russells Teapot?

Ian Black 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: I once put the Willies up someone on a big boulder at Hutton Roof!!!

I had a strange experience on Kinder once after a nights camping. Strange feelings in my stomach when I reached the summit.....

......then I remembered I had beans for breakfast and it was only wind.
Rigid Raider 12 Mar 2013

Not on foot in the hills but on bike; I was charging along one day when I heard an odd high-pitched noise coming from behind me and seeming to follow me. Was quite mystified as I'd never experienced a sound like that in open country before. My cycling buddy was equally mystified but we raced on regardless.

Then we stopped for coffee and I realised it was my new £2.99 cycling phone ringing in my jersey pocket behind me for the first time ever.... Mrs RR trying to get in touch!

Jim at Work 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Pinged:
>
>
> Adults believing in ghosts is simply tragic. If I was to come on here describing a time I'd bumped into a unicorn on Bowfell I'd be laughed at.

Absolutely. Everyone knows they are on Pavey, not Bowfell.
 crustypunkuk 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Ian Black:
> (In reply to Russell Lovett) I once put the Willies up someone on a big boulder at Hutton Roof!!!

Should this not be in the dogging forum?
 Ciderslider 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: Actually it's a bit weird because most people can't see the people that talk to me all the time when I skip my medication.
 Ciderslider 12 Mar 2013
In reply to crustypunkuk: Oh things are looking up I didn't realise UKC had a dogging forum.
 colinakmc 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Pinged:
>
>
> Adults believing in ghosts is simply tragic. If I was to come on here describing a time I'd bumped into a unicorn on Bowfell I'd be laughed at.

- thing is, was it the white one or the grey one you bumped into?

Neil Henson 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: Something really creepy happened to me last weekend. Stood outside a pub in the Peak District chatting to a mate. We noticed that a football had become dislodged from a tree some 60 metres away and off to one side. The ball dropped between the branches before hitting the ground. It then proceeded to roll down the hill and went straight past us just a few feet away. Doesn't sound that creepy until you see which pub we were stood outside:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=quiet+woman+earl+sterndale&hl=en&s...
 Shani 12 Mar 2013
In reply to colinakmc:
> (In reply to Pinged)
> [...]
>
> - thing is, was it the white one or the grey one you bumped into?

I know someone who ended up talking to a ghost through a 'haunted shower'.

We'd both spent the night in a house whose owner had recently died. The next morning this guy was taking a shower and the shower pressure kept falling and rising whilst the temperature fluctuated from hot to cold and back again.

My friend was terrified and started talking to the 'ghost' (whom he supposed was the deceased occupant) saying stuff like "Just leave me alone and I promise never to enter your house again!".

Afterwards he came downstairs looking terrified and told us of his experience.

It was half an hour before we told him that the house ran off a combi-boiler and that the washing machine was running....

I just love the idea that a ghost would use a shower to communicate.
In reply to Ciderslider:
> (In reply to Russell Lovett) Actually it's a bit weird because most people can't see the people that talk to me all the time when I skip my medication.

People? I get lizards. They appear to know many things, except where I left my tablets...

T.
Removed User 12 Mar 2013

I know someone who climbs and believes in ghosts.

He claims he stayed in Suileag bothy one night with a friend. During the night his friend was dragged across the floor in his sleeping bag.
 Ciderslider 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Nah, lizards don't come anywhere near, I think they can hear my voices telling me to kill them all
 Ciderslider 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserRussell Lovett)
>
> I know someone who climbs and believes in ghosts.
>
> He claims he stayed in Suileag bothy one night with a friend. During the night his friend was dragged across the floor in his sleeping bag.

Are you sure that wasn't dogged across the floor in his sleeping bag 8-0
In reply to Russell Lovett: dont blame you for not believing in ghosts, I dont believe in them myself. So why is it I cant explain that sometimes when im alone walking in the hills ( even on sunny days ) all of a sudden peolpe myself included for no reason at all get the strange feeling sometimes scaraly, that you are not alone.
 Dauphin 12 Mar 2013

Millenia of fisticuffs with bears, wolfs and tigers. Pretty normal to be spooked in places where you could get ambushed by a big, toothy beast that wants to eat you.

D
 ThunderCat 12 Mar 2013
> (In reply to Russell Lovett) dont blame you for not believing in ghosts, I dont believe in them myself. So why is it I cant explain that sometimes when im alone walking in the hills ( even on sunny days ) all of a sudden peolpe myself included for no reason at all get the strange feeling sometimes scaraly, that you are not alone.

I'm only pulling your leg (slightly). I don't believe in ghosts, spirits, a soul, the afterlife, things that go bump. I personally think there are a million other much more interesting way to explain these feelings - real reasons, maybe grounded in evolutionary psychology - maybe the primate ancestor who always warily suspected a predator survived (because on the one occasion there was a lion behind, he saw it and ran away) and passed on his genes, and the one with his head in the sand got eaten.

Maybe that awareness lingers on, and we attribute that feeling of 'being watched' or 'not being alone' to it.

ThunderCat 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Dauphin:

You read my mind (*)

(*) I also do not believe in mind reading - it was just a turn of phrase

Simon Wells 12 Mar 2013

Walking out of Sneachda one winter evening, high pressure weather system, hot day (for Feb), freezing night. My climbing partner and I talked about the grey man.

Then we heard the crunch of giant footstep, we froze not daring to turn around, then we heard it again, closer. Clutching an axe I turned around. Nothing. But still the footsteps, crunch, crunch.

Then we realized the shattered ice on the lochan was refreezing, pushing up frozen lumps some of them cracking or moving against each other was making the noise!

If we had not stayed and looked the grey man would have had anther legend.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
Hamlet Act 1, scene 5, 159–167

But I must admit when I wake up in Alpine bivvys I do feel like I have invaded some one elses world, I try to be as quit as possible in case the strange presence of the mountains notices me. Never get that feeling in the UK, but often get it at 1 am'ish on rough bivvies. Does the grey man do alpine stuff or is he strictly SMC only?
 drunken monkey 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Ian Black: You bootnecks are just weird!
 Mark Collins 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Neil Henson: I'm still freaked out by that Neil.
 yeti 13 Mar 2013

used to drive by sheffield abattoir regularly, never saw the lines of cow ghosts leaving there, some places must be knee deep in chicken ghosts or are they all human... no, hang on, there are a few horse n rider stories about so ...
 Milesy 13 Mar 2013
I think it is all just incidents of the "third man factor"
 Fat Bumbly2 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Milesy: Its just the creepy ski lift operator trying to frighten off all the climbers so that he can do crime in the corrie. Just rip off his mask. Great Dane optional.
Ian Black 13 Mar 2013
In reply to drunken monkey:
> (In reply to Ian Black) You bootnecks are just weird!

Lol, being called a Bootie is more offensive than being sent to the dogging forum!!
 Fiskavaig 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Russell Lovett: Has anyone stayed in the Old School House, Carbost, Isle of Skye?
 Mark Collins 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Fiskavaig: No, but I've been the pub. Is this about the dog?
 Neil Henson 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mark Collins: Me too!
 Milesy 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Fiskavaig:
> (In reply to Russell Lovett) Has anyone stayed in the Old School House, Carbost, Isle of Skye?

I have stayed in the Inn Bunkhouse. Where is the school house?
nickyrannoch 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Fiskavaig:

Is that the Skyewalker at Portnalong? If so I was there last April
 Fiskavaig 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mark Collins: No not the dog
 Fiskavaig 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Milesy: Its up the hill behind the Talisker Distillery
 fmck 14 Mar 2013

I once approached a summit in torridon once with a red misty shape floating up the hill. It was earily moving as if gliding and red through the mist. I was at the summit and it was def coming my way. i was looking about for anyone else but no one. I was all alone!
Thank god it turned out to be a frankie n bennies red balloon.

Not sure where it would of come from but stuck the streamer under the cairn. Guess it left the next folks up wondering why anyone would carry this up.
 Fat Bumbly2 14 Mar 2013
In reply to fmck: I saw a strange yellow round thing in the sky once.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...