UKC

knee pain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kev74 12 Mar 2013
I havent run for about 2 months because i had some pain in my knee so i gave it a rest.I went for a run today and after 10 mins the pain came back i dont feel the pain with anything else i do even climbing.The pain comes on the outside just below the knee cap so i was just wandering if anyone had any idea of what could be wrong and why it hasnt healed.
 Styx 12 Mar 2013
Quite possibly this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

It's the bane of my f*cking existence but for most people it's "fixable" with some stretching and management.
 Simon Caldwell 12 Mar 2013
In reply to kev74:
Sounds like ITB, but could be something else. Either way, get yourself to a decent sports physio.
 Ridge 13 Mar 2013
In reply to kev74:
Well I'm sat in a NHS physios waiting room to see about a recurring pain dead centre of the kneecap, so I'll let you know what they say
(Probably don't run, walk or drive anywhere in future..)
gibbysrabbit 13 Mar 2013
In reply to kev74: Any knee injuries I've had have been down to tightness in various muscles. (ITBS is basically tight IT bands)

Get yourself a foam roller, find the muscle which is impossible to roll because of the pain then fix it by rolling it loose. Then slowly build up the miles.
 Ridge 13 Mar 2013
In reply to kev74:
In my case quads and ITB too tight, plus probably inflammation of the fat pad behind the patella. (Hope that helps)
 Mountain Llama 13 Mar 2013
In reply to kev74: +1 for foam roller
 Loughan 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Mountain Llama: +1 foam roller +2 physio.
This question pops up quite often on here but we never find out if the foam roller is the fix

I had that exact issue when i started running.
Went to psycho who did accupuncture and a lot of rubbing of the ITB. It was quite painful as in a take your breath away kind.

I was then given a bunch of stretches and a foam roller then told to go.
It worked. Still doing both and running and the issue hasn't come back.

I'd definitely recommend a psycho/physio as they will look at you as a whole, addressing related issues as well as the ITB with stretches to iron out your other issues.
 Gav M 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Loughan:

I fixed an IT band issue using physio prescribed exercises, a foam roller and probably most importantly 2 months off running.

Stopping running was tough but I wasn't prepared to risk spoiling my ski season.
 Banned User 77 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Gav M: Once the ITB is inflamed you HAVE to stop... maybe not 2 weeks, depends on inflammation.. everyone gets it, but I now pick it up so early that a few days of trail running and stretching sorts it..
 matt pigden 14 Mar 2013
In reply to kev74: Sounds like osteomalacia patella to me. The small intrinsic muscles that support/control the patella (knee cap), become tight to try and stabilise the movement of the patella. Try mobilising the patella, particularly to the outside where its painful. Hold it in the painful direction for 2-3 mintues or until the pain eases. Then ice it for 20-30 mins. Do this twice daily for 2 weeks or until it no longer hurts to do it. Then slowly introduce running back in. If the pain starts up, stop running immediately and do this technique again. If this continues to flair up see a podiatrist because you are over pronating and causing abnormal loading through the knee which is making the patella pull at a slightly awkward angle. Typically ITB syndrome hurts down the lateral (outer) thigh and above the knee. If its next to the knee cap and slightly below its more likely to be OMP.
Good luck.
 StefanB 14 Mar 2013
In reply to matt pigden:

I have had ITB issues that turned out to be a problem in the ILT muscle, which is close to the hip. After several attempts I found a physio who during the examination touched this muscle which resulted in severe pain in the knee. He then fiddled around with a needle "to release a knot" and a problem of 6 months just disappeared.
I have no idea, what you have, but the message here is that knee pain may not be related to a problem anywhere near the knee, so a good examination is the key.
MattDTC 14 Mar 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> a few days of trail running and stretching sorts it..

Just wondering which stretch(es) you use for ITB?
gibbysrabbit 14 Mar 2013
In reply to kev74: http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/stretching-and-strengthening-e...

Stretch 2 or 3 depending on if I can sit down or not.

In my experience the foam roller is far better at loosening the IT band than any stretch. Its more like a massage and really works the tight area.
 matt pigden 14 Mar 2013
In reply to StefanB: I agree totally. Injury can be coming from underlying issues almost anywhere and definitely seeking a professionals help is the ideal solution, but it doesn't sound like ITB to me as causing the pain, it sounds more like patella pain. The primary issue could be foot, knee, hip, pelvis or a reflex issue from neck/jaw or thoracic spine as primary cause of imbalance in the body and treating the leg may have limited or no benefit until the primary cause is identified and corrected. ITB as a pain generator usually hurts above the knee though, whereas pain on the outside of the patella and slightly inferior sounds more like the local muscles controlling the patella. But they may be reacting to imbalance anywhere. Which is why online advice is a bit pointless really and the best advice is to seek professional help as soon as possible as degenerative changes start occurring within 2 weeks of injury and the biggest indicator of future chronicity is the fact the injury is already chronic. If musculo-skeletal injuries aren't settling within 3-4 weeks then professional advice should be sought. I might point out that as well as physiotherapists, there are also chiropractors, osteopaths and acupuncturists who can also treat these kinds of injuries effectively, cost effectively and safely.
kev74 15 Mar 2013
In reply to kev74: Thanks to everyone for the advice as it seems the least serious im going to assume its itb and get a foam roller to do the stretches mentioned if it doesnt help ill look into it further.
 Banned User 77 15 Mar 2013
In reply to MattDTC:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
>
> Just wondering which stretch(es) you use for ITB?

foam roler.. then general glutes and hamstring..

But also specific ITB stretches.. one where you lie with your leg bent under you..

The other cross your legs and reach over to an imaginery point away from the back leg.. i'll google some..
 Banned User 77 15 Mar 2013
In reply to matt pigden:
> Typically ITB syndrome hurts down the lateral (outer) thigh and above the knee. If its next to the knee cap and slightly below its more likely to be OMP.
> Good luck.

The pain can be anywhere from the hip to the mid thigh to the outside of the knee.. I've had the classic knee pain but also classic side of quad.. when its bad any pressure anywhere along the band and you hit the roof..

But yeah ITBS is normally a sign you have other issues which need dealing with, why simple rest isn't the answer as you have to get to the root of the problem or next time you do the same thing, it comes back..
 David Riley 15 Mar 2013
In reply to kev74:

I get bad pain in my knees if I run hard after not running for a while. Running until I get the problem every other day works for me.
Usually it's gone by the third run.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...