UKC

Another tent thread: UL, 1-2 people

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 14 Mar 2013
Looking to lighten my tent (for three season use in Scotland, sometimes four season if the particular forecast is good, for use by one man and his dog). Considering the Vango Force 10 Helium or the Vaude Power Lizard SUL 1-2p

Anyone got any experience with either current model? Anything good / bad to say about them?
 Ash Sayers 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus: My Helium was destroyed in 40mph winds (Gusting 55mph). Definitely cosy for 2, for 1 you can get all your kit in but with 2 I had to leave sacks outside. I found it perfect for summer lightweight trips.
In reply to Flinticus: I wouldn't say the Vango and Vaude are really equivalent. The Vaude is considerably more expensive and supposedly 'better quality'.

I've used plenty of Vango tents (although not the Helium) and whilst they are great value for money I have never particularly rated them when compared to the like of Terra Nova or Hillebreg. I'm afraid I can't comment on the Vaude.

However, if you are really keen on that style of tent (I'm not) then it is worth looking at the Wild Country & Terra Nova range. They have 5 options with an identical design but lighter (and more expensive materials):
Wild Country Zephyros 1
Wild Country Zephyros 1 Lite
Terra Nova Laser Competition 1
Terra Nova Laser Photon 1
Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1
see http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/ultralight-lightweight-tents/

The Zephyrus Lite is probably directly comparable with the Vango and the Laser Comp more comparable with the Vaude.

Anyway, best of luck.
OP Flinticus 14 Mar 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:
Thanks. The Competition is certianyl worth looking at (the price creeps up on the others)

Anyone ever use the Exped Vela 1?

or try to use the Laser Comp 1 with a medium sized dog? (I know, I know, looking for very specific experience)
 Neil Pratt 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Not used that specific tent, but my brief experiments with a 1 person tent for me and the mutt convinced me that the extra 200g weight was a small price to pay for a slightly larger 2 person tent and space to get things organised and sleep.

The upside is that you can probably carry a lighter sleeping bag, as the tent warms up a treat with the dog curled up alongside you.
 Nutkey 14 Mar 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:
I've got the Laser Photon 1, and I don't see how you'd fit two people in it (and get any sleep) unless they were both small. I might take my daughter wild camping in it when she's old enough for the walk-in (not long now!) but I'm small, and she's smaller...
 peas65 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

I have a laser comp 1, i use it for solo backpacking when working, it is a great tent if;
its not forecast to be too windy
your not too tall (over 6foot)

I wouldnt want to use it with my dog, it is a spacious (ish) 1 person with a good size porch but unless you have a tiny dog not a good option - my collie would drive me bonkers in that tent.

I would use a voyager if going solo with the dog.

What about the competition 2? More space, 2 doors and same design and similar weight.
or Voyager superlight? Much more space, good porch, bomber construction!

I think single pole tents if that what you are looking at would be a dodgy choice for 4 season use as if a storm came in unexpectedly you could be really in trouble. I used the laser comp 1 in 40-50 mph winds in summer and thought it was going to blow away, thankfully it didn't. OS i wouldnt use it in winter.
 SFM 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

I can only really think of the Hilleberg Akto or one of the Macpac tents for 4 season use but they may be a bit on the pricey side.

alexcollins123 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus: I got rid of a Vango Helium 200. Infact I got rid of three. Sent first back due to dodgy seams, send next one back because zip wasn't attached, and third one I sold because I was fed up by that point.

Poor design & very small for two! I fitted me + luggage for a weekend with not much more space for another person. Also badly made but excellent customer service from Vango.

Bought myself a Terra Nova Superlite Voyager and its great apart from the silly pegs which I have replaced. Plenty of space, well built and stable. Only concern is lack of taped seams but hasn't had any issues yet.
 TMM 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

TarpTent Scarp1
http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

4 season, two porches 1.3Kg and $317

I've used one in preference to an Akto and it is brilliantly conceived.
In reply to Flinticus:

Haven't had direct experience with either, but can reccommend against the vaude, used to work in a well known gear shop and we got a large number of returns. I also spent 2 months sea kayaking in another Vaude tent, (that is, sleeping in it in the evenings, I sea kayaked in a sea kayak) and it definitely didn't stand up to much abuse, from us or the weather. I know on the power lizard they tape the seams, which doesn't usually work with silicon treated tent fabrics.
On the flip side, never got returns or complaints from users of the Force Ten, It's worth noting they are made to a different spec than other vango tents, as a more performance range. The extra weight over something like a laser comp will likely give the fabric a bit of extra durability, probably not a bad thing with one man and his dog.

Hope this helps
Oliver.
 SFM 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

This appears to be fairly robust, according to the account provided.
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF101.html
ice.solo 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

i said it on the other thread and will say it here: MSR nook.

1.3kg, true 2 person, true 4 season (and will handle a '5th' in alpine conditions), good sized vestibule, even special pockets for your piss bottle.
 Nutkey 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
Just in case anyone wants one, the Laser Comp 1 is on sale at Uttings.

£199 - http://www.uttingsoutdoors.co.uk/Product/193/107762/terra-nova-laser-compet...
 MtnGeekUK 15 Mar 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

But why don't they make it outer pitch first?
ice.solo 15 Mar 2013
In reply to MtnGeekUK:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
>
> But why don't they make it outer pitch first?

not sure, havent tried pitching it that way. but it pitches inner/outer together seamlessly.
 MtnGeekUK 15 Mar 2013
In reply to SFM:

I have one of those. Not 4 season in my view, but not tried it. Also the inner is mesh only, so you'll certainly feel the cold!
Good choice for 3 season use - pretty happy with mine!
 MtnGeekUK 15 Mar 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Genuine question - how do you pitch outer and inner together if the poles attach to the inner?
OP Flinticus 21 Mar 2013
In reply to MtnGeekUK:
Good questions. Anyone answer? (the tent does look real good but I usually discount any that are inner pitch first)
 london_huddy 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm a big fan of my Big Anges Seedhouse SL2. A very big tent for the weight. Inner first pitching though.
 csw 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

No Experience of the others listed here, But I have a Macpac Microlight and I'd recommend it to anyone. Roomy for one - will hold 2 - pitches fly first or all in one and I've pitched it in gale force winds with no appreciable difficulty. The only criticism I have is that you have to seal the seams yourself.
OP Flinticus 21 Mar 2013
In reply to csw:
I read this review just now: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=131115

How has the tent handled wind in your experience once set up?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...