UKC

arrochar/ben lui conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lloydfletch 14 Mar 2013
As the title says really. Off out tomorrow. I'm guessing arrochar is wildly optimistic, but was kinda hoping there might be something to do. Maybe even with all the cold weather some early season style conditions, and the snow we'r expecting in the next 24 hours-ish? If not we'll probably head to ben lui, if that'll be worth a shot. And we're after maximum grade III routes, grade II being ideal.

Thanks in advance.
OP Lloydfletch 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn: bump
 JSTaylor 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn:
Bridge of Orchy (specifically Taxus) was excellent on Tuesday. That said, another party did back off Stairway to Heaven. Might be a better shout than Arrochar? Ben Lui should be fine - was tremendous two weeks ago and conditions have been pretty stable since then. Big caveat might be any snow today/tonight...
 neeza 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn: Done Ben Lui on tuesday central gully in great condition cycled in from Dalrigh had a great day
In reply to Heddwyn: Am sadly limited by public transport, so can't do bridge of orchy really. Was on ben lui a couple of weeks ago, was great but wouldn't mind doing something different/hard enough to need ropes. s-e ridge on the cobbler would be ideal but i doubt the turf'll be frozen. gullies on narnain or ime might be goers though, which is what i really wanna know about.
 DaveHK 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn:
> (In reply to Heddwyn) Am sadly limited by public transport, so can't do bridge of orchy really.

The B of O hills are amongst the most easily accessible by public transport in the country.
 Neil Pratt 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn:

I'd keep a close eye on the wind/snow over the next couple of days - snow showers and strong wind suggests there will be new pockets of windslab accumulating that will change things quite radically from the last fortnight, and make route choice much more important. The SAIS forecast for Glencoe has already shifted back up to 'Considerable' today.
In reply to DaveHK: Really? For a day hit?
 niallk 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr) Really? For a day hit?

Toby A tells a story of catching the bus (from Glasgow, I think), doing Skraeling's full length and being down in time (just) to catch the bus back.
 Leonard Tedd 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn:

Yes, you can catch-up with the last leg of the sleeper train. Arrives in Bridge of Orchy around 8am. Doesn't run every day though.

hawdd
L
In reply to Heddwyn: sadly i work till 12.30 tonight so wont be on any sleeper trains. Good idea for the future, though i did try once and they told me it never stops before fort william.

So anyone know arrochar conditions? Its been cold for days, + snow and wind overnight. Mightn't mixed stuff be in?
drmarten 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn:
They're talking mince, the train stops at most of the stations

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/timetables.html

However, for some reason it appears not to stop at Glasgow!
In reply to drmarten: im coming from edinburgh so thats no problem wish id known they were talking nonsense a couple of months ago! Thanks.
drmarten 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn:
To be honest I quite enjoy sitting back and having some breakfast on the train and taking in the scenery. It's a very good and relaxing way of getting into Loch Ossian from the south.
 mikehenesy 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn: did the horseshoe today. went up the ene ridge, one bit of loose snow pitched at about Ii in loose snow. lots of fresh snowyesterday last nighr and today. soft loose turning slabby. avoided the central gully as avalanched somewhat. came down the n ne ridge, grand day out and ridges should still be ok tomorrow.
 tom.e 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn: Anyone know how the Cobbler is looking at the moment? Thinking of a day-trip tomorrow.
OP Lloydfletch 16 Mar 2013
In reply to tom.e: Went to A'chrois intending to climb the grade II gully yesterday, but it was just wet snow. went over the ridge to narnain, lots of snow about up high but all pretty soft. Sadly turf didn't seem frozen anywhere (downright soggy for the most part).

If you're just looking for wintery walking then it was still pretty nice up there, but climbing conditions (at least for gullies and turfy stuff) seemed shit. Please correct me if you go up there and I was wrong, im no expert.
 tom.e 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn: Thanks for the info, I think we'll head to Glen Coe instead.
 RomTheBear 18 Mar 2013
Did one route on the Cobbler on Sunday 17th, conditions not very good, mostly sugary snow, but there might be good hard north facing mixed pitches.
Been snowing a lot, conditions could become good as low as chockstone gully if the sun does not come out and temperature stays low.
OP Lloydfletch 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn: Any updates on conditions? Im sure there's loads of fresh snow. Question is, will turf be frozen by thursday? Not enough experience to judge whether it'll be insulated by the snow and be soggy, or with the cold be great. As always im thinking of s-e ridge on cobbler. been wanting to get that done all winter, just scared of trashing the turf!

any low grade route suggestions that would be good for conditions in the are would be appreciated. bridge of orchy could potentially be done also.
In reply to Heddwyn: Oh, forgot to mention, we have one ice screw so ice routes aren't really on the cards! unless there's rock pro that is.
In reply to Heddwyn: bump
 Jamie B 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn:

Did Second Coming on Beinn Dorain today. Turf was frozen even where buried. Lots of snow around, Creag Coire an Dothaidh looked buried!
In reply to Jamie B: Excellent! In the end i'll be walking the arrochar alps on my own tomorrow and will check it out then for thursday. thanks though.
Delco 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Heddwyn: I will be looking to head over on Sunday, if you could keep me posted on how it looks cheers
OP Lloydfletch 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Delco: Was about in the arrochar alps today and yesterday, sadly just walking. or not so sadly, as the wind was bitter. however it was thoroughly frozen underfoot. turf will be well frozen. cloud level over the last two days has been lower than predicted by mwis/met, particularly yesterday where the cloud was dense from about 600m. loads of fresh snow about. walking up past the cobbler yesterday the snow was quite deep by the narnain boulders, however coming back that way today it was quite bare with the wind. basically, lots of fresh snow, all being moved about by the wind. let me know how it is, i might go out again next week. have a good one!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...