UKC

Skye conditions? (wlaking)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Barratt 14 Mar 2013
Anyone been up the past week? Was tempted to do In. pin. in winter conditions but don't think I'll have a suitable climbing partner. still going to head up anyway (just not to climb). will be staying in Glen Brittle and plan to walk/scramble on the ridge. Get me psyched!! Also any avalanche information would be handy.
 BnB 14 Mar 2013
In reply to David Barratt:

You could consult the members of the Skye Wlaking and Mountaineering Group. Might even find someone to climb with.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/185124348291976/

OP David Barratt 14 Mar 2013
In reply to BnB: Oh thanks. Might check that after work.
 Mike Lates 15 Mar 2013
In reply to David Barratt: Snow/hail down to 500m today. Fresh stuff was balling up & sliding down steeper slopes with every aspect in Coir' a' Bhasteir today making it look like mini-avalnches everywhere. It's made the snow slopes slightly less fierce (they were like glass) but certainly serious still.
Hard to advise without your profile but winter will be full-on again. Choose routes very carefully to avoid steep traverses of slopes (Collies Ledge prob a nightmare) or long descents on snow (avoid Great Stone Shoot). Pinn will be hardcore after a few weeks of having been clear.
Rewards will be high though; stunning vistas with the return of full whiteness yesterday. Enjoy.
 Cameron94 15 Mar 2013
In reply to David Barratt: YHM!

Any update on conditions today Mike?

OP David Barratt 18 Mar 2013
In reply to David Barratt: Update: just did the route up Sgurr Dearg from Glen Brittle and back down via Bealach. Took somebody up their first proper winter ridge walk so wasn't climbing this time. Snow was well binded and felt secure. It was still balling up creating intersting mini avalanche looking things (very technical description!) In. Pin. was pretty bare. We also found tracks of what we think was a wild cat, check my photos to judge. awesome weekend anyway. Thanks for the updates.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...