UKC

NEWS: Caldwell and Honnold Rip it Up in Zion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 15 Mar 2013
Honnold and Caldwell covering ground in Zion, 6 kbIn a mere 16 hours, Tommy Caldwell and Alex Honnold have free climbed four Zion big-walls in a single push. The formidable duo romped up Sheer Lunacy, Moonlight Buttress, Touchstone Wall and Spaceshot for a groundbreaking day of free-climbing.

"All free in 16 hours with Mr. Honnold," wrote...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67909
In reply to UKC News: Fine effort by the lads. At some point in my life I have to go to Zion!

However...800 foot "big wall"? So, that 243m right? I've done quite a few routes of similar length and they did not feel like "big walls".

Is there a definition for big walls?
 Peter Rhodes 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Fultonius:

> Is there a definition for big walls?

Grade V, VI or VII. i.e. Would take a standard party 2 or more days. Sound reasonable?
 Enty 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Fultonius:

Modern standards make the term Bigwall sound silly on some of these routes. Back in the day though they were all multi-day routes involving intricate aid and bivvies.

We passed two teams on Moonlight on portaledges and a friend spent the night on Spaceshot.
You'd have to be going really slow though to take more than a day on the Touchstone Wall.

E
In reply to UKC News:

Good grief - that's really incredibly impressive. Apart from anything else I'd have thought it must take a good hour to get from the top of one route to the bottom of the next, not that I'm exactly sure how close these all are to each other.

jcm
 psychomansam 15 Mar 2013
Touchstone wall or tombstone wall? The article is confused.
In reply to psychomansam:

Now corrected thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...