UKC

Very dry room and a bad nights sleep with irritated eyes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 01wills 15 Mar 2013
Hi I need some advice from some builders.

I have recently had a new window installed in my flat, the window is just above my bed at the end which my head lies. Around the frame there has been quite alot of what looks like plaster smeared onto the wall.

Ever since it has been plastered I have had very irritated dry eyes after sleeping and a very dry throat. Are the two related? I think it is right that I mention that the plaster has not been painted over. Would this affect it?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Simon
OP 01wills 15 Mar 2013
In reply to 01wills: bump, really need some advice, I had an awful nights sleep. Please some one!
In reply to 01wills: Difficult to say.

The dry eyes and throat could be a cold/infection coming on. Could be a change in relative humidity and temperature since the window went in.

First thing I think is the plaster will have gone on wet and will be drying so it is not extracting moisture.

The window, itself, could be giving a better seal so reduced air flow. Also better heat retention so no moisture build up (ie did your previous windows have build up on them?).

Daft one - was the bed moved when the window went in? Could there be plaster on the pillow/bedding/frame that gets disturbed when you sleep?

If the plaster is on the wall and is not touched I cannot see how it would be able to do anything.
In reply to 01wills: sleep with the door open and see if you still have problems
ceri 15 Mar 2013
In reply to 01wills: Could be plaster dust from the building? Clean the room, change the bed, then if it still happens you've probably got conjunctivitis
 Fraser 15 Mar 2013
In reply to 01wills:

Not a builder but my tuppence:

Personally, I'd not sleep with my head right at a window. Has the bed always been in this position? I'd give it more than just the one night to trial the new situation too. There could be any number of reasons to cause this condition, many non-bed related.
 JamButty 15 Mar 2013
In reply to 01wills: Sleep with the window open?, and sleep at the other end of the bed.
Also change all your bedsheets, give it a good hoover around the area, then see what happens
Good luck!
OP 01wills 15 Mar 2013
In reply to 01wills: Thanks every one. Well I only thought of the plaster as the theory as some one else shared the bed recently and had the same problems as me, where before the windows were done I was fine.

I was thinking along the lines that there may be surface dust on the plaster and as it hasn't been painted it comes loose slightly.

I'm going to paint the wall and clean all the bed and give it another hoover and see what happens.
 EeeByGum 15 Mar 2013
In reply to 01wills: Why not try sleeping at the other end of the bed and see if that improves matters.
 JH74 15 Mar 2013
In reply to 01wills: Aside from dust issues which you're addressing you could try a bowl of water on the radiator to humidify the room.
 mattrm 15 Mar 2013
In reply to 01wills:

Can you take a photo of the window?

If there's plaster on top of paint, the the builders need to come back and clean up properly. If there's bare plaster, then I assume they're coming back in a while to paint over it?

How clean is the room?

Are you asthmatic/allergic to dust at all?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...