UKC

NEWS: FRI NIGHT VID: Brown, Whillans and Fawcett

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 15 Mar 2013
Don Whillans, 4 kbDon Whillans, Joe Brown and Ron Fawcett all star in this week's selection of classic videos.

"Come on arms, do your stuff!"

Don't miss these - they are fantastic!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67912

Puppythedog 15 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News: You could have just turned the other thread into a news thread? it would have kept all the comments then?
 lagerstarfish 16 Mar 2013
Morning all,

It was me who uploaded the vids as the result of a combined effort on the mighty UKB.

This thread http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,21548.0.html

As I've said in the blah under the vids, I do not own any of the content and do not have any permission from the makers/owners to post them. In fact, I haven't even attempted to ask permission from the owners - because I'm lazy.

None of the films seemed to be available to buy or view anywhere else and a few people were interested in seeing them.

Of course I will remove them if the owners want me to.

Lagers
 Puppythedog 16 Mar 2013
In reply to lagerstarfish: Really pleased you loaded them, they're brilliant and I've wanted to see them for ages but not able to. I would cheerfully buy a compilation DVD but he ho.

Good show Lager.
 Babika 16 Mar 2013
In reply to lagerstarfish:
Thanks! I still have them on video somewhere from the TV showings but this great as I'm also too lazy to poke around and find them and change them to DVD.....

Appreciated
 robert.smailes 16 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News: First to set foot on the summit of Annapurna???
Also, am I correct in believing that Don Whillans died not in his sleep but whilst climbing? I remember reading an article long ago that described him 'suddenly slump on the rope' while seconding Great Slab on Cloggy? If so, what better way to go...
 Babika 16 Mar 2013
In reply to robert.smailes

DW didn't die whilst climbing.

And just as well we don't die every time we slump on the rope..

Blimey, that would knock the climbing numbers down sharpish
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Mar 2013
In reply to robert.smailes:
> (In reply to UKC News) First to set foot on the summit of Annapurna???
> Also, am I correct in believing that Don Whillans died not in his sleep but whilst climbing? I remember reading an article long ago that described him 'suddenly slump on the rope' while seconding Great Slab on Cloggy? If so, what better way to go...

That was Bill Peascod, belayed by Don Whillans.

Chris
 Chris H 16 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News:
"Don't fall on purple rope it will probably snap!"

dannyboy69 16 Mar 2013
Ron: "Drat! Blast!"

Superb!
 Kafoozalem 16 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Anyone care to confirm the routes done by Ron Fawcett in the Verdon video/
I'm guessing
1. Necronomicon (preceded by the hair raising Luna Bong abseil)?
2. La Demande with Gill?
3. La Demande solo?
4. Chrysalis
5. Pichenibule
 Jonny2vests 16 Mar 2013

Brilliant. Thanks to the UKB hive mind for sorting this and the other uploads. I think UKC could at least acknowledge that.
 Steve nevers 16 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Could you please upload then to Vimeo or something? Youtube is awful here and breaks constantly, if it even manages to start.
 Jonny2vests 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:

Who are you talking to? They weren't uploaded by UKC News. And you tube is a pretty stable site, maybe there are issues at your end.
 Motown 16 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News: Just watched 'Pushing the Limits'. Brilliant. Thank you.
 lagerstarfish 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:

are you using Firefox? there are some annoying problems with Firefox/Youtube. sometimes with Virgin broadband and Youtube as well. the full cocktail is most frustrating

why aren't I getting capital letters automatically at the beginning of my sentences? am I expected to press shift every time I want caps or proof read my own posts or something? yeah, well that's how Hitler got started. next they'll be coming for the misused apostrophes; and then what? i can hear the grammar Nazis at the door. must type more quietly. shhh
 john arran 17 Mar 2013

> next they'll be coming for the misused apostrophes

theyll all be at the greengrocers.

johncook 17 Mar 2013
In reply to lagerstarfish: Somewhere, in the West Country I believe, the local council have spent much money on research and found that apostrophes' on street signs confuse people, so they have banned them!!
Roy 17 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Don when asked at the time about his first experience of winter climbing in the Alps replied "Well it's good training for Scotland"
 lagerstarfish 17 Mar 2013
In reply to john arran:

the one that sells potato's and tomato's? the greengrocer insists that neither of those words come up as spelling errors on his PC computer and both spellings conform to the rule of shoving in a flying comma where a letter is missed out

*edit*
apparently the greengrocer resells the £/kg that belong to the local potato and I have misunderstood the whole thing. i have yet to find out about his arrangement with Tomato Ltd
Simon_Sheff 18 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News:

'This week several exceptional videos have cropped up on Youtube, and have been discussed in the UKC forums already.
First up is a 1984 clip of Don'

I think you will find this was initiated, and undertaken by UKbouldering, and then shamelessly posted on your front page with no acknowledgement.

See this UKB thread started 1st Feb:
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,21548.0.html
 GeoffRadcliffe 18 Mar 2013
> Morning all,
>

> None of the films seemed to be available to buy or view anywhere else and a few people were interested in seeing them.
>
The Don Whillans video is available on the Lakeland Rock DVD which is still available on sites like Amazon. This was a TV series with such classics as Pete Livesy and CB on Footless Crow and Jill Lawrence and Gill Price on Empire. It is worth a watch.
 GeoffRadcliffe 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Kafoozalem:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Anyone care to confirm the routes done by Ron Fawcett in the Verdon video/
> I'm guessing
> 1. Necronomicon (preceded by the hair raising Luna Bong abseil)?
Yes
> 2
. La Demande with Gill?
No, Gueule d'Amour
> 3. La Demande solo?
Yes
> 4. Chrysalis
Possibly
> 5. Pichenibule
Yes
 Michael Hood 20 Mar 2013
In reply to lagerstarfish: Thanks for those - off sick today and they're much better than AMTV.

I'd forgotten how much Ron was a GLB in the early 80s.
 Kafoozalem 20 Mar 2013
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe:

Thanks for that Geoff - I have fond memories of Necronomicon and the Luna Bong abseil.
 Paul Evans 01 Apr 2013
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe:
Geoff, the Don Whillans video on Lakeland Rock is the one of Don and Chris Bonnington on Dove Crag. The video on youtube is a different one with Don and Joe Brown on Cemetary Gates on the Cromlech.

I do have quite a lot of old vids. I must have a look what I have that is no longer available...I think I have all the Rock Athlete's kicking around somewhere...

Cheers
Paul
 GeoffRadcliffe 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Paul Evans:
> (In reply to GeoffRadcliffe)
> Geoff, the Don Whillans video on Lakeland Rock is the one of Don and Chris Bonnington on Dove Crag. The video on youtube is a different one with Don and Joe Brown on Cemetary Gates on the Cromlech.
>
Yes I realised shortly after posting (but too late to change it). Sloppy of me! From memory, the Gates vid came shortly after the Lakeland rock series. Both great vids though. I,too had all the rock athlete vids and the fingertip phenomenon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...